Date but Not a Date

It's bad to laugh at other people's misery... But it always feels good if you know they deserve it.

"Rachel!" Sue shouted at me.

I snapped back to reality and saw the worried looks on my friends' faces. We were in our usual spot, and we we're enjoying our lunch break. At least they were, until I scared them with my daydreaming of Nathan.

I haven't told them of what happened yesterday: not that I don't trust them or anything. It's just that I totally trust that they'll say that I'm screwing with them and that I was halfway to crazy town.

"What are you staring at?" Lizzie asked, her eyebrows puckered in concern. She followed the general direction of my eyes and scrunched up her face in disgust, "Why are you staring at the dumpster?"

I was staring at a dumpster.

"And you haven't even touched your food," Sue says. She leant forwards and touched the back of her hand to my forehead, "You feel okay."

I stared down at my homemade cheese and bacon sandwich and took a bite out of it. Oddly, it didn't make me feel as happy as I thought it would. Still, I devoured it in mere seconds after that. I licked the oil off my plump fingers and I heard Lizzie and Sue sigh in relief.

"She's good," Lizzie said to Sue and she nodded in agreement.

"Oh you guys are being overdramatic," I said to them. My eyes moved past them and saw Edward and his friends walk-limp towards us. I frowned.

Sue was faster to catch on and turned around to follow my line of sight. She cursed something under her breath in Chinese and she turned back to us, "I heard they were attacked by baboons while they were making out in a forest."

"I thought it was a wild boar," Lizzie said, shoving a spoonful of rice into her small mouth. She said something unintelligible through a stuffed mouth.

I chuckled and said, "Actually they were-" I cut short when Edward arrived.

Edward and his crew didn't say a word and he just stared at me with furious eyes. Sue and Lizzie exchanged worried looks but I glared back at Edward. I'm not going to show any signs of weakness in front of him.

"What do you want?" I asked him boldly.

"Nothing in particular. I'm just here to fix up the rumours about me and my pals," Edward said flatly.

My heart stopped for the briefest of moments. Was he going to tell on Nathan and me? He wouldn't dare!

"We were chased by rabid monkeys," Edward said with a strained laugh. He was looking at something behind me.

I turned around and my heart sped up. Nathan stood over me, smiling serenely at Edward. I heard Edward groan but I didn't look back to see him and his crew leave.

"Can I sit here?" He plopped down beside me before anyone of us could answer him. You are not supposed to be here! We're the nerds and the outcasts. You belong with the other cool kids!

Nathan looked at me with amused eyes. I turned to face Lizzie and Sue who were both gaping at the new comer. Lizzie manages to fire an inquisitive look at me but I diverted it by feigning ignorance.