My New Partner

Jaxon's POV

I get up and start getting ready for work. Another sleepless night and I know it's going to be another long day of work.

"You okay, babe?" I hear Jessica ask as she comes into the bathroom with her long blonde hair tousled to one side.

"Yeah Jess, just not looking forward to today," I say as I sigh and start to brush my teeth.

I've always loved being a part of the CIA, but on days like today when I have zero sleep it makes my job hell. I finish and start to get dressed.

"I wish you could stay," Jessica says leaning on the doorframe, her bright blue-green eyes pleading with me to call in sick or not show up for work.

"You know I can't-" I start to say.

"I know, but Jax," she walks up to me tugging on my shirt as I button it up, "we never spend any time together." I see her freckles across her nose as she looks up at me. She usually hides them with makeup, but once that's off they are prominent.

"I promise that we'll have a date night soon, it's just I've got a new assignment that is going to take time." She lets go of my shirt and I finish buttoning it. I kiss her for a brief moment before I rush out the door.

--

"Lixer!" my boss shouts at me. I rush in to see him throw a file across his desk. I pick up the file and look through it. I see photos of a crime scene and I look up at him questioningly.

"I need you to go up to Maxi Loft Prison," he says.

"Maxi Loft? Why do I need to go there?"

"I need you to transport a prisoner here."

"A-A prisoner?" I say stuttering a little. No one ever transports a prisoner here especially not someone from Maxi Loft. "Sir, I don't understand."

"Her name is Sofia Lancaster. She's a hacker and one of the best. I need you to get her and bring her here. She's going to be an important asset to this case."

Even though I was against this whole idea and plan I nod my head and leave the room.

A prisoner? A hacker? What in the world is Howers thinking?

--

I drive up to the gate.

"Identification?" a voice says over the speaker.

"Special Agent Jaxon Lixer, 1925. Here to pick up and transport Sofia Lancaster."

"Come on in."

I hear a buzzer and the gate slowly opens. I drive through the gates and up to the main office. Once I park a man rushes up to greet me.

"Hello Special Agent Lixer, my name is Chuck and I'm here to escort you to Ms. Sofia Lancaster."

"Ms?" I say in an appalled tone because I'd never call a prisoner a miss or mister seeing as they lost that right when they broke the law.

"Right this way," Chuck says as he motions toward the doors dodging my questioning look. I walk in and he takes me to a room.

I walk in and see a woman with light brown eyes and long black hair loosely back into a ponytail standing against the wall with a sour look on her face, "Bout time you showed up."

"Do you know who you're speaking to?" I say to her.

"Well, do you know who you're speaking to?" she fires back.

"Yeah, actually I do. I'm speaking to a criminal who lost all their rights when they decided to break the law."

"Honey, if I lost all my rights why did your boss recruit me for a case?" She starts to walk towards me and she stops in front of me, "I've been in here for a couple hours while you took your time. I think it's time we start working on that case."