The Corruption

Sofia's POV

I sneak into Jaxon's room while he's asleep. I snatch his phone and quickly, but quietly exit.

I swipe right and his password code comes up.

Alright, think Sof. Think. Would he really be so stupid to put his password as 1-2-3-4-5-6? Nope. Alright, 8 more tries before I get locked out for a minute. C'mon, think Sofia, think. Important things in his life - his job, his integrity, his - wait that's it.

Jessica's her name, right? Okay, so six numbers or letters. Jess, no. Jessic, definitely not. Wait, Jessie!

I begin to type 5-3-7-7-4-3, and sure enough, it unlocks. I quickly scroll through his contacts.

Howers, Howers, Howers-

"Gotcha!" I say out loud once I find his contact, and I quickly clamp my hand over my mouth.

I touch his name and I push call mobile phone considering that his work phone wouldn't do me any good.

The line rings and a gruff voice answers, "Hello?"

"Now listen, you are going to agree to give Ms. Poliac full immunity. You can either agree to this with me using the easy or the hard way. And trust me, however much I'd love for my friends to meet you, you wouldn't like it as much," I threaten.

"No-" he starts, but I cut him off.

"I wasn't looking for an essay answer. I want a yes." The line is silent, so I continue. "The clock is ticking, Howers," I tease.

"Even if I do agree, you won't get away with this," he angrily spits.

"Well, you see here's the thing. No one except for you and I would know. Look I don't think you fully understand that if you don't agree or if you tell anyone about this conversation my threats will turn into actions. And trust me you wouldn't like those." I tap my foot against the hardwood floor as I wait for my response.

"A-Alright, fine," he finally bends.

"Send Jaxon a text at 7 A.M. and tell him that you've changed your mind. And remember if you tell a single soul, you won't live to see 60. We'll be in touch," I say, smirking triumphantly.

I quickly end the call and erase all my tracks. After that, I put back Jaxon's phone and pull out the laptop.

I log into an email that I created a couple nights before and I send an email to Nailah Poliac...

Nailah, it worked. If you help us take out Dominique you'll get full immunity. Meet us at the coffee shop on Twenty-Third Street. I'll make up something. Be ready. And try to think of some genius plan with that great brain of yours. See you soon and thanks for the tips.

--

"I just got a text from Howers. He said that he is going to give Nailah full immunity," Jaxon says beaming while he walks into the kitchen. I fake a surprised look and return to scanning over files. "Can you maybe reach out to her. We could meet somewhere to talk," he suggests sitting in the chair next to me.

"I can do even better," I say. I pull up the video feed from the coffee shop I told her to be at. "I've been searching for security videos to try and spot her. And with my skill, I finally found her."

"So what are we still doing here? Let's go!" Jaxon shouts, jumping up and heading for the door. I quickly email Nailah letting her know we're on the way and I head out the door, but not before I grab some files.

The car ride is quick since the coffee shop is only about twenty minutes away. We pull up into a parking spot and I turn to Jaxon. "Remember your cover, okay?" I remind him and he nods.