The Long Roads Ahead

Sofia's POV

My feet pound hard on the pavement.

I didn't think this through. What was I thinking? No, I'm not thinking like that anymore.

"C'mon, Sofia!" shouts Blake as I start falling behind. "I know you took some time off, ya know prison and stuff, but you better not get caught cause then both of us are going down."

I start running faster knowing it's only a matter of time until they find out I'm not there anymore.

This was easy. Almost too easy.

I push those thoughts out of my head as we turn a corner.

"The car's over there!" Blake says pointing to a small, black car.

I simply nod my head and I run faster when I see the car. I jump in the passenger's seat as she jumps into the driver's seat.

"Go!" I shout once she gets the keys in. She speeds off and we go onto the road. "Take that road!" I say pointing to a backroad that would help us lay low. She turns and speeds down the back road.

"So," she says casually.

"Yeah," I respond trying to slow my heavy breathing.

"How was jail?" Blake looks over at me smirking.

"Let's not talk about it," I say in my bad attempt to avoid the question, "So what is your plan and where are we headed?"

"Well, we are going to meet up with John and make our way back to the West Coast."

Wow. The west? I haven't been there in forever.

It felt strange hearing that. We started to slowly move our operations to the east when we were starting to get tracked down.

"Hello? Um, Sofia? You still there?" Blake waves her hand in front of my face and I snap out of my thoughts.

"Sorry," I mumble.

--

"You've got to be kidding me!" I yell as I look behind me. There is a small black car racing towards us.

"That could be anyone," Blake says trying to keep an optimistic frame of mind.

"It's not anyone," I mumble angrily at her. I peer behind me again and try to look through the tinted windows.

Dammit! Why does it have to be so dark!

I try to squint, but that does nothing. I turn back around and slam my back against the seat in frustration. "Blake, do you know how to lose someone?"

"I do, but not on this road. It's a one way only."

I glance at the side mirror on the car and to my horror see the car window roll down slowly. A gun appears and it is pointed at the back left tire.

Oh shit! No! No!

It all happens so fast. I can't even tell Blake to look out. Two shots fire. They hit the back two tires. We skid along the road and Blake tries her hardest to keep moving. I give her one look and instantly know what I need to do. I know he wants me and he can have me. I just need to help Blake get away. As the car slows, I jump out of the car and motion to Blake. She ducks down and crawls to the back of the car.

"Hey!" I shout at the car behind us. I see a familiar face, Lixter.

"You little bitch!" shouts Jaxon as he jumps out of the car and runs toward me.

I shoot a quick glance towards the backseat of the car to make sure Blake isn't visible. I don't see her and I sigh in relief as he's too concerned with me to notice anything else. Jaxon grabs my arm and pulls me to his car. He shoves me into the passenger's seat and slams the door.