Chapter 4: Bert

Around five in the morning Gerard and I agreed staying up all night was a total torture. Some of the guys were passed out and the COs had to shake them awake since it was required for the test.

Gerard leaned his head on my shoulder and I allowed it, normally I would push him away but this was Gerard and we were chill. I didn't want him to leave in a month and he had confessed he didn't want to leave too. "Hey Gerard," I shook him lightly. "Stay awake." I felt a rush in my body, I didn't want to wake him up. I was perfectly fine with him resting on me- more than happy for it.

"Sorry man." he got up and straightened himself. I think I noticed a light blush or maybe that's just my ego.

Meanwhile Bert was still staring at us once in awhile and it was starting to freak me out. Then again I was tired and not thinking clearly so it seemed... Fun. I felt kind of proud to make him jealous.

"I'm sleepy," I announced while Gerard rested his head on the table. Before I could stop myself I accidentally added, "and horny..."

He turned to face me and grinned shyly. "Me too."

I wanted to ask if he meant he was sleepy or horny or both, but instead I started rubbing his back. He shivered at first since he wasn't used to my touch, but then relaxed and shut his eyes. "We're not allowed to do this."

"Bert isn't looking at us," I say, yawning.

"No, Frank, we can't touch. We're not allowed to and I don't wanna get in trouble." he shifted and held my hand instead.

I gasped quietly. "What are you...?"

"You're the one who rubbed my back," he said back while looking at the TV. Friends was playing and we were on the second episode of season 3. "It's not like I'm fucking you or whatever."

I giggled and squeezed his hand slightly tighter, while he returned to resting his head on my shoulder. "Lift your head when I say the COs are watching." I told him with a stupid grin I couldn't resist wearing.

"Excuse me?" a voice interrupted, and me and Gerard's hands separated fast while he jerked his head up. "That's my fucking boyfriend, retard."

"I'm sorry we were just-"

Bert shushed me and grabbed Gerard by the arm. "What the fuck? You think you can just cheat on me!? Remember what I do for you Way, just remember."

"What? Give me cigarettes and drugs?" Gerard asked with a terrified look on his face. "You know I can't resist that."

"Hopeless addict. One of the many, many reasons you're here." Bert sounded hurt and betrayed.

I stood up without even thinking. "Do you even care about him or just the size of his penis?"

Bert and Gerard looked shocked and I didn't blame them, because I knew I was. "Like you know what the fuck you're talking about!" he screamed, letting go of Gerard and pushing me.

"That's a shot," a CO warned, writing something down.

"Is this a shot?" I yelled, shoving Bert into the nearest wall with every ounce of strength I had in me.

The guard pursed her lips. "Not my fault y'all want free shots. Anyone else? Free shots? No?" she glanced around the room. "I didn't think so. So sit yours asses."

Gerard left me in my own miserable space, to go talk to Bert. I played some Skip-Bo with some other guys until it was time for the test. I was hoping Bert was just cranky with exhaustion and this would all be over once we got some sleep.