chapter nineteen

Everything is messy. I have no clue where to start.

I thought that going to this military boot camp would solve and ease most of my worries. The emptiness in my heart, my stubborn nature, the hurt I feel towards my dad. But until now, none of that has disappeared and only more things can be added to the list, anxiety, nerves and lost.

After I scribbled the last words on the nearly white journey page I threw it down, aiming at my bag, with the pen soon following it. I yawned, trying to remember how many hours I had slept in the previous night.

-----

"Tired?" I  heard a voice behind me asking. I turned my head so see Agnes creep on a chair next to me with a plate with a few pieces of bread on it. I agreed with humming.

"Where are you all the time, Melissa and me are always looking for you, but half of the time it looks like you disappeared from the earth," I asked turning my attention to the lone bread laying on my plate. Not a chance that I was finishing it, somehow I couldn't manage to get it through my throat.

A childish grin appeared on her face but she didn't answer, only shook her head. Only a few minutes later Melissa too, joined the lunch table.

"Are you not going to eat it, you've been staring at it for over 5 minutes with a disgusted look plastered on your face." Melissa tuned in our conversation, I shook my head furiously.

"I'm not hungry" I mumbled.

"Is this about what happened this morning?" Agnes asked, pursing her lips in a thin line. I nodded silently as I scanned the room, not looking for anything in particular. Soon I was zoned out of the conversation.

As soon as a long figure opened the door loudly, carelessly with curls wildly spread all over his head, nothing as they should be, the whole lunchroom became silent. His feet took large strides until they reached their destination, our table.

"Mr Chilton would like to see you." He said looking down at me, not even a sign of emotion playing on his face. Before I could question who Mr Chilton was or why he wanted to see me, I was being snapped at for not hurrying up.

I rolled my eyes at Agnes and Melissa who had stopped their conversation when Sergeant Styles entered the room. I picked myself up and strolled after him as he again took his large strides towards the door, making it hard for me to catch up to him.

I received several stares but when I looked back at them, they quickly turned their heads away. Had I done something wrong?

I also caught the men who had helped the boy pulling my lingerie high up in the air next to the Stars and Stripes flag snickering at me and winking at me with their bright grins. But the culprit himself was nowhere to be seen.

He pushed against the door causing a loud bang when his hands contacted against the wooden door. Jittery with embarrassment, I followed him closely without saying a word. When I looked at his hands I remembered the way he had torn of my necklace last night, like a cruel wicked man.

The silent took us over on our way to a large cabin which seemed almost scary. Two soldiers standing next to the door with their stares unbreakable, staring into the distance. The Union Jack flag was hung up in a mast left of the cabin. The way he spoke of his mother, the woman in the picture, showed me had a great love for her. So how could he be so heartless when it was concerning my dad?

Styles greeted the soldiers with raising his hand just above his temple, causing his fingertips to touch his head while the rest of his hand was in a straight line. After that he took his hand down in a strict way I had never seen him do before, he seemed nervous. It felt good feeling his body inch up in the presence of the soldiers, the way his breath seems to hitch up and his eyes concealing a dark grey tone of fear.