chapter fifty

“Why are you acting like this you know I’m using a ten minute card!” She screamed out frustrated with the phone trapped between her shoulder and her ear. So she had her hands free to throw in the air out of frustration.

Cleary the person who she had been calling hung up because seconds later she slammed the horn against the telephone booth. I slowly neared her.

Agnes and Melissa were in the cabin when I came back, drenched in water. They all laid in bed, either staring at the ceiling or reading a book. I greeted them, telling them what had happened, leaving out the part which included Matt.

They had given me a phone card, which you can use for ten minutes. They all got them this morning handed out at breakfast, so that they could call one person for ten minutes. I wasn’t there, so they saved my card.

Once I showered,  changed my clothes and had dinner I decided to make a phone call to my mom. It was seven in the evening here, so it would be six in Colorado. At dining time, my mom is always at home.

“Are you alright?” I asked the girl, sitting next to her. I had seen her before, just not frequently.

“Oh yeah,” she sighed. “I’m fine.”

“C’mon” I pushed her into telling me the truth, I was certain that she was not fine. 

“It was my stupid boyfriend Ray.” She sighed. “He knows that I’m here for med school, the military will help me pay it. Yet every time I talk to him, he keeps telling me that he doesn’t know if he could wait and how all these hot girls are hitting on him all the time.”

“At least they’re girls” I joked, but she was clearly not in the mood. The truth is, I was trying to cheer up myself too after everything that had happened today.

“What?” she spat.

“Never mind.” I mumbled. “You need to take a good look at yourself in the mirror. You’re hot. And medical school to boot? If he wants all of this, he needs to straighten up and fly right.” I said, a small smile appeared on her face.

“Here” I said handing her my card. “Call Ray to tell him that he’s lucky to have you.”

And with that I gave her my call card and walked away. I don’t know why I did it, but I felt like she needed the card more than I did. And in all honesty, I didn’t know what I was going to tell my mother.

I probably wouldn’t tell her about Harry and Matt. Maybe about Brad. So I decided to write a letter, at least you can erase your mistakes if you go wrong.

I returned to my cabin, and started writing a letter.

Dear mom,

Let me start by saying thank you for the great job you do. I never realised how hard it is taking care of me. I hope you’re good. In a few weeks I’ll be coming home, and we’ll watch late night movies again with hot chocolate. I can’t wait!

Love,

Violet.

I quickly sealed the letter with an envelope and placed it onto my bag, so that I could hand it in tomorrow.

--

A loud cheering surrounded me. Many people were yelling, screaming and pumping their fist into the dusty air. It was kind of breath-taking how loud we all were.

“C’mon soldier! C’mon soldier!” A women from the other team yelled at another women sliding down a pole. Once she was down with the back bag another women threw herself at the pole and tried to climb up with trouble and pain visible in her face.