Chapter 30:

Sorry this is a short chapter but I have been having MAJOR writer's block. @milomurphy2 this chapter is for you.

(Yankee's POV)

"Pulitzer's on the lookout for those two. Because Pulitzer offered their father a large sum of money for Yankee and Spot." Morris explained.

"He's not far off." Spot said. I soon spotted my 'father' outside the window.

I went wide eyed "Dad's comin'!" I warned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After shouting about my 'father' Spot and I rushed behind the soda counter. Fitz was behind the counter and nodded to the two of us. He soon pulled back a set of tiles and reviled a trap door to the basement.

"Spot." Fitz stopped my brother in his tracks. "One, it's safe. Two, stay put. Three, get the hell outta here." Spot nodded in reply.

"Get in. Hurry!" Fitz whispered to the two of us. Spot nodded back and rushed down. I took a few steps and turned back to kiss Fitz on the cheek.

"Thank you Philip." I said. He tipped his hat to me. Just as he ended that the doorbell rang. His head quickly flipped towards the door. Spot tapped my foot and help me down the stairs. We rushed down the stairs and sat by each other. Spot was wrapped around me protectively. We just sat there quiet as a mouse listening to the situation upstairs.

(Racetrack's POV)

I had jumped off the counter and quickly ran back to where Jack and the boys were sitting. Mr. Conlon almost busted down the door. I could smell the alcohol on his breath from halfway across the shop. We Newsies just sat there hoping to not cause an unnecessary fight.

"Good afternoon sir." Fitz said to Mr. Conlon.

"Shut the hell up before I beat the silence out of you."

"Sorry sir." I heard Fitz stomp three times on the floor.

Mr. Conlon stopped in his tracks and turned back to Fitz. They shared eye contact for a few seconds. "Sorry, I tripped." Fitz waited until Mr. Conlon turned back to give me a signal.

I got up and started to walk toward the main door. Morris was by my side pretending to stalk me. The two of us walked slowly next to Mr. Conlon. We were off to help Yankee and Spot to get back to Brooklyn.