Chapter 16:

The girl gave me a confused face and said. "Why do you all call me that, I have a name you know."

Race and I looked at each other. I was in awe, Race on the other hand looks like he knew that would happen.

"And what might that be?" I asked.

"Mary Anne Delancy. Yours?" Yankee replied.

My eyes became huge. Race was right, this is worse than I thought. I regained my composure and said, "Da names Spot Conlon, the king of Brooklyn and your brother."

"Ok "King of Brooklyn,"" She said putting king of Brooklyn in air quotes.

"Listen here, y-." I started to say before being cut off.

"Spot, Ise don't think that yellin at her will help!" Jack shouted.

"I don't care Kelly, you let this happen in the first place!" I screamed back. After I screamed, the room got dead quite. Unit Medda barged in. And walked right past Yankee.

"What's going on in here?" After Medda had said that, every Newsie in the room looked at Jack and Me. I was about to say something, but someone started talking before Ise did.

"Nothin really ma'am', that guy, Spot, I think, was yelling at another kid named Kelly." Yankee said out of the blue.

Miss Medda turned around to see my sista. "Well, if it isn't the talented Emma Conlon." Miss Medda said cheerfully.

"You might be confusing me with some one else ma'am, I'm Mary Anne Delancy." Yankee said.

"Oh, I'm sorry dear." Miss Medda said before turning to look at me. Her face showed sadness. But trust me, she doesn't know how sad it makes me to see my sista but she doent see me.

"How about a song? Ya know to cheer you all up." Medda asked.

There was a chorus of yeas and oks came from the Newsies. Miss Medda went on the stage and told all the Newsies to come and sit on the stage around her. Da whole of us went up and sat on stage. We sat on boxes, the floor, the ladders, and chairs. All but one, my sista.

"Mary, would you like to join us?" Medda asked Yankee, who was standing at the other end of the theater.

"No thanks ma'am." Yankee replied.

"You don't have to call me ma'am Mary, Medda will do just fine. Right boys?" Medda asked us. A crowd of approval answered.

"Mary, Mary, Mary." Race started.

"Mary, Mary, Mary, Mary," little by little each Newsie joined in until finally Yanks moved towards the stage and sat by Romeo. I smiled. 'She's getting there' I told myself.

"Ok fellas, this song is a favorite of a dear friend of mine." Medda said looking at me. I asked her earlier if we could sing this song if ever we found Yanks. She's here, not herself, but I hope this song will help.

"Piano!" Medda said. Seconds later a tune came with Medda's singing.

MEDDA:
High times, hard times
Sometimes the living is sweet
And sometimes there's nothing to eat
But I always land on my feet
So when there's dry times
I wait for high times and then
I put on my best
And I stick out my chest
And I'm off to the races again!

My good friend the mayor, he called me today
He said all the voters are turning away
"Help me," he cried, "or they'll give me the axe!"
I said, "Your Honor, you've got to relax ..."
Everybody!

ALL but Yanks:
High times, hard times
Sometimes the living is sweet
And sometimes there's nothing to eat
But I always land on my feet
So when there's dry times
I wait for high times and then
I put on my best
And I stick out my chest
And I'm off to the races again!

"Hey Mary, try a verse." I said.

"No, I'm not a singer." Yanks replied. After Yankee's response all the newsies started to encourage her to sing.

"Ugh, fine." Yanks said. All the newsies started cheering but were cut off by Yanks.

YANKEE:
So your old lady don't love you no more.
Yanks looked Romeo,
So you're afraid there's a wolf at your door.
She then looked at me,
So you got street rats that scream in your ear.
She sang pointing her finger at every newsie.

ALL:
You win some, you lose some, my dear!
Oh, high times, hard times
Sometimes the living is sweet
And sometimes there's nothing to eat
But I always land on my feet
So when there's dry times
I wait for high times and then
I put on my best
And I stick out my chest
And I'm off to the races again!
I put on my best
And I stick out my chest
And I'm off
And I'm off
And I'm off to the races again!

I couldn't believe it. I looked over at my sista and saw the biggest smile on her face. 'Little by little.' I thought to myself. "Let's give a hand to Mary!" I said. All of us started clapping. It all stopped when the theater doors slammed open. "WHERE IS EMMA!?!?!" The voice yelled.

We all jumped, but I stood up. I knew that voice. "Who are you?" I asked the figure at the door.

"Why if it isn't little James Conlon." The man said.

"The names Spot."

The man took a few step forward and entered into the light. I couldn't believe my eyes.

It was my father.