Chapter 4

Days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months, and Karina raised Harry as if he were her own. She even got used to him calling her "Mummy", a little tired of trying to explain that she wasn't his mummy. 

Remus often tried to help Karina raise Harry, but Karina didn't want help. She wanted to prove that she could do this all on her own. The only thing she had asked Molly about a few things. Like, what to do when the baby starts crying in the middle of the night. When to yell at him and when to comfort him. When not to cry because you just can't take this anymore! Now Karina knew how Mrs. Longbottom felt when she took on Neville. And Remus knew that it was driving her crazy.

One day, Remus came home and found Karina running around the house like a crazy woman, Harry sitting on the couch crying.

"Karina? Karina, whats wrong?" Remus asked, stopping her. Karina looked at him, running her fingers through her hair. 

"I don't know!" She cried. "He's crying! I've tried everything!"

"Well... Have you tried feeding him?" Remus asked gently, taking Karina's hands and bringing them down. Karina gave him a dirty look.

"Feeding him? Of course I have!" Remus nodded calmly.

"Okay, maybe he's thirsty. How about we get him some water?" Karina's face fell, and she walked away, running her fingers through her hair again, Remus picking up Harry's sippy cup and filling it with water with his wand.

"Water. I forgot to give the kid water." She mumbled, sitting on the arm of the couch. Remus set Harry on the prize with the cup, and went over to Karina, putting his hand on her shoulder and sitting next to her on the arm.

"Karina. You can do this." He told her benevolently. She looked up at him, about to cry.

"I can't... I..." She tried to say, but found herself crying again, burying her face in his shoulder. Remus patted her back comfortingly. 

"If James could, you can." 

"He had Lily..." She sobbed. 

"And you have me." Remus told her, and she looked up at him. "You're not alone. I'll help you, Foxtrot." 

"Fox! Fox! Fox!" Harry shouted in response, and Karina gave a short laugh, tears falling down her cheeks, but she was smiling. Remus laughed too.

"We'll figure this out. " She hugged him close.

"Thank you." She whispered. Remus hugged her back.

"You're welcome." Harry came over and grabbed onto their legs.

"Mama!" He shouted. "Moo-ey!" Karina laughed again, and lifted Harry into her lap, snuggling him close.

"I promise you, Harry. I promise that I will take care of you. I will make sure that you are loved, happy, and safe. Never will you feel unloved, nor will you feel unwanted. Never to go hungry, and never will you stand out badly against your peers. I promise." Harry hugged her tightly, not quite understanding what she meant, but knowing that she needed a big hug. That was when Remus stood up, and left the room, only to come back with Harry's toy broom that he had gotten on his first birthday. Karina smiled.

"I know that this won't be as fun without James and Sirius, but... do you want to go for a fly?" 

"Not in the house." Karina told him, laughingly, standing up. Remus raised his eyebrows.