Chapter 23

"A new hope has risen over the horizon as youngsters of the new Quidditch little league teams begin their first season!" Karina read the paper aloud proudly at the breakfast table a few days later. It was the very first time she felt good about seeing Harry's name in the newspaper. His name along with the other children on his team. The story, of course not written by Skeeter, told only of how hard each child had worked to earn their spot on the team, and about the other teams that had been formed in the area. She had sent out near a hundred letters, just bragging about Harry and his accomplishments. She had in return many congratulations, good lucks, and many promises of coming to games. 

And of course, Remus had heard the story of the first practice over and over again. He sighed, happily, but exhausted, as he heard her read the story. Harry sat in his seat looking very proud, and Remus could only wipe away the syrup dripping down his chin. He was proud of course, but was a little sick of hearing about it.

Karina, however, danced around the kitchen happily. Things seemed to finally be going her way! "Our new team consists of wizarding children all across the nation, fighting for the right of the Junior World Quidditch Cup!" Karina squealed giddily, falling back into her kitchen chair happily.

"Karina, try to pull it together, won't you?" Remus chuckled, grabbing the back of the chair before it fell and fixing it.

"Remus, I can't help it! It finally f eels like everything is just falling in place!" She told him happily, slamming the paper down on the table excitedly. 

"Momma! Can Ron come over and play?" Harry asked. "And Herminy? I want to play Quidditch with them!" Karina's expression changed in a snap as her mind raced to deal with the delicate situation of Hermione and her family. Harry hadn't quite figured out why his Muggle friend wasn't allowed to come and play his favorite game, or read his favorite books, or hear the stories about his uncles. He didn't understand why Momma found it easier to take him over to their house when they wanted to have tea together and let the children play, when he wanted them to come over so he could proudly show off his drawings on the refrigerator or meet Momma's owl. 

"Harry, you know that Hermione can't know that we're wizards." Harry crossed his arms angrily.

"But why!" He shouted. "I want Herminy to come and play!" 

"Harry, you need to calm down." Remus told him sternly, but Harry just threw his plastic fork across the room.

"No! I want Herminy!" He shouted, banging his fists on the table. Karina swiftly swept him up out of his chair and put him in his room so he could calm down, wincing as she shut the door behind her and a tiny tornado child came running at the door banging on it. She stood there a minute to make sure he wouldn't come out, then went back downstairs with Remus, sitting back at the table and putting her head in her hands. 

"Never mind the pieces falling into place." She grumbled, flopping back and waving her hands around as Remus caught the chair. "The pieces fell out again." Remus sighed.

"I've told you before that having Muggles for friends wasn't the best idea. And it's not that I don't think we can't handle it, but I do think that Harry has trouble handling it. He's just so young, he doesn't know any better." She gave him a look.

"Well, what do you want me to do? You want me to try to explain to Harry and Hermione why they can't be friends until they're both old enough to understand? And how do I explain that to Robert and Mercy? 'Oh, sorry you lot, it's just that Harry's trying to reveal the biggest secret of the entire Wizarding Wold to you Muggles, so I just have to not hang out with you until he's old enough to understand the severity of the situation!' That's a great idea!" She threw her head head back, groaning. Remus sighed and patted her hand.

"It's going to be alright, Karina. We just have to keep doing what we're doing until then." Karina nodded, looking up at him exhaustively.

"I just wish it were easier with him. I mean, what if this continues all the way until he goes to Hogwarts? He'll have a hard enough time with all of the nonsense that happened with Voldemort and everyone believing he's some Chosen Boy Who Lived. Growing up is hard enough without becoming one of the biggest names in the Wizarding World in years." Remus nodded solemnly at that one. He could barely go out into town without getting a whole bunch of questions of his own just being related to the incident that night and being friends with Harry and Karina. He couldn't imagine what Harry might go through in the future.

"Well, he'll always have us if he needs our help."