Undeserving

'No! I wish I never married you!"

The yell transitioned into deadly silence.  Both parties were heaving from the screaming match they just had and were now looking at each other with regret and sadness. 

Shaking his head, Rikkard slowly left the room, still in shock of their latest argument. 

As the event caught up with her, Lilly collapsed on the floor, sobbing her pain away. 

After hours of crying, she found herself waking up in the cold bed, his side left untouched, indicating his absence. 

Rubbing the sleep away from her eyes, Lilly rested against the headboard, recollecting what had happened. 

Rikkard had come home to see Lilly trying to cut her hair. Over the years she had let it grow down to her waist and Rikkard loved it. He would constantly play with her hair when both of them were together and had told her repeatedly how much he loved her hair. So when he saw Lilly with her new bob, he lost it. 

He yelled at her for not discussing it with him and she got mad at him for intruding between her decision with her hair. 

The screaming match escalated into unrelated topics of his late arrivals and Lilly's unnecessary interaction with Captain Carter. That lead to her kicking Rikkard out of their room and him starting another argument about his right to their room. 

Eventually, the fight got out of hand, leading to the Lilly screaming the dreaded 6 words to him. 

Rikkard had left, not taking a pillow from their room to allow Lilly to rest comfortably, and she knew exactly where he was. Guilt ate through her as she recounted her wrong-doings. 

Rikkard never told her she couldn't cut her hair, he just asked her to tell him beforehand. Rikkard wasn't coming home that late, his work on extending him to come back home at 8 instead of the normal 5 he was now used to. But it wasn't his fault. A business deal with a manufacturing factory had gone wrong and he was already stressed about the outcome. To top it off, Lilly had been spending more time with Captain Carter, sometimes missing meals with Rikkard to spend time wooing ladies for Captain Carter. 

Lilly sat in dread as she realized what a terrible friend, lover, and wife she had been to RIkkard for the past week and realized her mistake. 

Hell, she loved the man more than she ever thought was possible. Rikkard had long grown from his granite facade, letting Lilly into the man of gold he was, literally and figuratively. Aside from his multiple shelters for orphaned children and homeless families, he would also fund education for chimney boys and beggar girls. 

After Argentina, he had realized the true meaning of being rich and since then had shown Lilly his love and beauty. He was a beautiful man, inside and out, and Lilly had broken that. She tainted his beauty and shattered his heart and she has no one to blame but herself. 

She lifted herself off of the bed, slowly proceeding towards the living room. In the moonlight, she could make out the lump that lay awake on the loveseat in their living room. The night was cold, even with the fireplace blazing in the corner.He laid there, solid and unmoving, staring up at the ceiling. 

Aside from his gentle breathing and the roaring of the fire, everything was silent. Lilly silently crept towards him, hoping to keep him undisturbed.

"What are you doing here?"

His voice was like ice, making the woman colder than she originally was. 

She didn't answer, instead, she climbed on top of him, squishing him against the small loveseat. She wrapped her arms around him and pressed her lips against his neck.

"Rikkard, I'm so sorry. I can't believe I could lie to you like that. I love you more than anything and marrying you was the best thing that happened to me and-" she grabbed his hand, pressing it against the swell on her abdomen,"our baby is the proof of it. I was completely out of line and I am truly sorry for how I have been treating you. You deserved so much better, much better than the dismissive wife I am being. But I don't want you to go to anybody else, I love you. I know you deserve better but I swear I will be better. I swear I will become the wife you deserve and show you the love I have for you. But please-"

She was cut off by his lips hurriedly pressing against hers. Willingly, she kissed back,  conveying her apology and love onto the kiss and accepting his in return. 

After a heated make-out session, RIkkard pulled back. He twirled his finger around her short hair before grabbing her neck.

"I don't mind your short hair. In fact-" he tilted her head to the side and sensually sucked on her neck, surely leaving a mark for tomorrow, "it makes it easier to do this."

He continued his assault on her neck as she sighed into his arms, snuggling closer than possible to him. 

Somewhere along the lines, both of them fell asleep, their love and presence aiding as a lullaby. 

~~~

"Oh, my. Rasberry! Come look! It's the Master and the Madame! What should we do?"

"It's a bit romantic isn't it, Never? They are both so in love! I wish to have that someday."

"Your someday will never come. We're destined to be forever alone. Now, let's go. We'll clean up after the Master and Madame have woken up." And with that, the two maids, Never and Rasberry left the couple at peace.