Chapter 4 - Confessions

Riley stood there in shock, she didn't know what to do with the message but she knew that if she stayed close to Lucas everything would fall apart. She decided that she could like him from afar and just let Missy have him.

"I don't like you like that," she said before walking out of his apartment. Riley waited until she was far enough away to start crying. She was happy that he had told her that he wanted to go out with her. She felt so average most of the time that just the sound of his voice so close to her made her happy, but in the end she was giving into Missy's words because if she didn't she wouldn't be able to deal with the outcome.

The next morning at school she sat down at her desk trying to get herself together, she hadn't been able to sleep at all because all she could see was Lucas's face heartbroken because of what she had said.

"Hey Riley," Darby said as she and Sarah walked over to her. "Is it true that you stole Missy's guy?"

"Apparently I stole the guy she likes..." Riley said as the crushing weight in her heart pulled her down.

"That's not right Riley," Sarah said brushing her brown hair behind her shoulder.

"Riley what kind of person are you? I didn't think you were that type of girl," Darby said scolding her. Riley felt two inches tall while her classmates ganged up on her.

"You know that Missy likes him and you still talked to him," Sarah said as Jade another girl in their class walked over.

"No way is this real, it's always the quiet ones that you have to watch out for," Jade said.

"I thought we were friends," Missy said looking sad.

"Missy are you alright?" the girls said as they walked over to her.

Riley couldn't believe what Missy and the girls were saying, especially since they all think that the two of them were friends in the first place. They were never really friends and Riley knew that, the only time they were friends was when Missy needed something.

"Don't glare at me," Missy yelled. "It's horrible she's always quiet and she won't apologize over what was happening."

"Hurry up and apologize to her," Sarah said.

"Yeah apologize it's the least you can do for going after Missy's guy," Jade said. Riley wanted to scream but she just stayed quiet.

"You're a very disgusting person Riley," Missy said kicking her desk until it fell over causing Riley to jump back as her phone fell out of her lap. "Oh look her phone, I wonder what we should do with it?"

"We should delete everything on there," one of the girls said. Riley felt frozen so she didn't know who was talking anymore.

Missy walked over to the window and opened it, it had been raining all morning so the rain would sprinkle the side of the building. "Maybe we should just," she said dropping the phone out the window. Riley heard the phone crack, the classroom was on the third floor and it was raining of course it was going to shatter.

At the end of the day Riley stood by the bus stop on the way back to her dorm, she felt so stupid because she should have known that something like that would have happened. Everyone loved Missy she was one of the popular girls so of course everyone would blame Riley for what was happening. Riley knew that it was her fault in the first place because she knew that Missy had liked him and wouldn't react well if Riley had become close to Lucas. She had missed the shuttle bus because she didn't want to deal with the girls. Missy didn't live in the dorms because she lived nearby but all the other girls did and they all made it clear that they hadn't liked what Riley had done at all. As she walked inside she was glad to be out of the rain only to realize that Lucas was on the bus with her. Life was messing with her and she knew it. She didn't know what to do, but he was asleep she walked pass him as quickly as she could and sat down behind him. She didn't want him to see her, but she couldn't help but feel drawn to him somehow. His hair was wet as well as his school uniform. She started to worry that he would catch a cold if he stayed out in the rain long enough to become drenched. He looked tired, she was worried that he was doing too much.