0.0

"Hey, Emily." Younghyun called to his best friend who was making her way down the hallway.

"Hey! What's up?" Emily smiled brightly at him, and he paused to catch his breath in more ways than one.  

"I-uh, I forgot." Younghyun said with a small laugh. 

'Well, my mom's here to pick me up soooo..." Emily adjusted the strap to her bookbag and stared at Younghyun. 

"Do you want to go to the dance with me?" Younghyun blurted it out before he even thought about the trouble it could cause if she said no. Emily's eyes widened and felt her face turn red.

"Th-the dance?" Younghyun nodded already knowing this was a bad idea. 

"Yeah, I was thinking, if you don't have anyone to go with and I don't have anyone to go with...We could go together!"

"Together?"

"Because we're best friends!" Younghyun said quickly. 

"Oh of course! Then sure! I'll go to the dance with you. " The two kids smiled at each other awkwardly before Emily's phone vibrated interrupting the silence between them. "That's my mom! I'll see you tomorrow, I guess!" Younghyun waved as she ran down the hall towards the student pick-up.

He started walking happily down the hall until he bumped into his friend Jae.

"Hey, did I just see you talking to Emily about the dance?" Jae asked him, looking in the direction where Emily had just ran off. Younghyun scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Uh, not really." Jae rolled his eyes. 

"I thought we talked about this. Emily is weird."

"She's not-"

"No, she is. She's really weird."

"Okay, I get it. You know I only talk to her because she doesn't have any friends. She didn't have anyone to go to the dance with! I felt bad for her and-" Younghyun was interrupted by a flash of red hair and the sound of feet quickly going down the hallway. Emily rushed past Jae and Younghyun while trying to ignore all feelings she was feeling. 

"Oops." Jae said with a worried look on his face. 

"Emily!" Younghyun called after her. Emily swallowed and turned around, trying to compose herself so that he wouldn't know how much his words got to her. 

"Oh, hey. I left my math book in class so I was going back to get it. Don't mind me." Emily tried to put on a happy expression but it just looked as pained as she felt. Jae mumbled some excuse and left quickly down the hall. Emily took this as her cue to leave as well.

"Emily." Younghyun ran up to her. "I don't know what you heard back there but-"

"I heard enough." Emily said sharply. "I'll have you know that I have plenty of friends and that I don't need you to talk to me because you feel bad."

"I just said that because Jae was there! You know how much I care about you! You're my best friend..." Emily laughed and Younghyun felt it shoot through his chest. 

"Right, sure. Oh, hey, just to let you know, I'm not going to the dance anymore. I have a project to work on. So, I don't need your pity date. You can ask Isabella Foreman or some other girl to go." Emily turned around sharply and went to her car, forgetting all about her textbook. Younghyun was left alone in the hallway regretting everything he had said. 

Emily ran to her mom's car and climbed into the passenger seat. As soon as her seat belt clicked, she started crying while her mom tried to comfort her. I hate him. I hate him. I hate him. I don't need him. Now or ever. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really don't know what this is honestly but it'll turn out better I promise. 

Middle School Angst is what i call this 

kbye 

~Karles