Chapter 2 - POV Kirstie

A/N: Throwback to the chicken song...

-----------------------------------------------

I cross my legs on the bench where I'm sitting with my friends on the quad. Today is the calm before the storm: my finals from last semester are over, but tomorrow, I will learn what element I can control. When I turn nineteen tomorrow, everything will become crazy and new.

For now, I'm content just to sit and listen to my friends talk.

Suddenly, Kevin starts singing next to me: "If I had some chicken..."

We all burst out laughing, and he joins in, cutting off the song there. I don't remember when that particular inside joke started, but it feels like we've had it our whole lives.

Scott's the first one to stop laughing. "Seriously y'all," he says, "we should practice our new song."

"Which new song?" Mitch quips.

"The one where Kirstie sings the lead," Scott says, looking at me.

I should probably explain why we sing songs together. It's not because the Elemental Academy doesn't offer choir as a class; it's because of the professor teaching choir. Five years ago, Mitch did something that caused the professor to kick him out of the program. I'm not sure exactly what it was. Mitch refused to talk about it much. All I know is that Professor Grody was really, really mad. I decided to drop out of choir with him, and so did Scott, Kevin, and Avi. We formed our own group on the side called Pentatonix. We preform a few songs every year at the student Talent Show.

Anyway, the song Scott is referring to is called "Water." I agree that we need to practice the song, and Scott counts us off.

"It's ten past two..." the words roll off my tongue. I try to relax and let my nerves for tomorrow wash away. I'm filled with apprehension. Mitch and Scott have probably thought a lot about which element they hope they will be able to control. I know I've thought about it a lot, and I still don't know what I would prefer. That's probably a good thing, so I don't get my hopes up, but at the same time I'm not sure if I will like controlling any  of the four elements. Singing with the group calms me down, though. Too soon, the song is over.

"Wow, that was great! We're so ready for the Talent Show and it's still a month away!" Mitch says.

We all nod in agreement. Avi says something, but I'm not listening: I'm trying to picture what our group will look like tomorrow. Scott, Mitch, and I will all be excited and eager to try out our new powers. In a week or so, next semester will start and we'll begin classes pertaining to our specific element. I hope I can control the same element as one of the others, so that I know someone going into my classes.

Suddenly, the group starts singing another song. I'm not ready because I wasn't paying attention. Scott cuts everyone off with a laugh. "Kirstie, where were you?" Kevin teases.

I blush. "Sorry y'all, I was spacing off. I'm just nervous for tomorrow I guess."

Avi looks at me. "Hey, don't worry about it. Everyone gets nervous for their nineteenth birthday. You'll be fine no matter what happens."

Kevin joins in. "And we're still going to get together and sing songs. Your friends will always be with you."

"Always," says Mitch in a fake, high-pitched voice. Scott snorts and Kevin starts cracking up.

"Feel better?" Avi asks me, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes." I smile. There's nothing like knowing people are there for you, no matter what. I know that Pentatonix will always be together. My friends won't just go away if I can control wind instead of earth.

"Now that we've got that settled, shall we try again?" Scott asks, raising his eyebrows.

"What are we singing?" I ask.

" 'Rose Gold', " Scott says. "And this time, pay attention." He winks and counts us off.

*****

The rest of the afternoon passes in a blur. The rest of the group and I eat dinner in the Dining Hall together before splitting up to go to our separate dormitories. There are seven dorms: one for each of the elements and three for those younger than nineteen who haven't discovered their elements yet. Scott, Mitch and I are all in the same dorm. I'm on an all-girls floor with my roommate, Esther, and Scott and Mitch are roommates on the floor below. Esther turned nineteen a few days ago and moved into the Terra dorm, so my room is empty when I get inside.

I glance briefly at the bare side of the room where Esther used to live. The bed is neatly made.

I walk across the room and shut the curtains covering the window before sitting down on the edge of my own bed. I'm tired, but I doubt I'll be able to fall asleep easily. My stomach is a knot of anticipation, and I can't stop thinking about tomorrow.

Eventually, though, I do drift off.

*