Chapter 10: Simple Thoughts

Laying on my bunk with the curtain drawn, I prayed that the traffic would just start moving again, and we could finally keep moving on towards East Rutherford, New Jersey.

It's also been a full day and a half since I've talked to Luke. After he kissed me, I've just sort of been avoiding him. I mean, I guess I should be happy, because I like Luke and all, but after he'd just told me that the kiss had meant nothing? I just don't even know anymore.

Scrolling through Twitter, my eye caught a picture of one of the One Direction fans that I'd been following. It was one of those pictures where you find the number of the month you were born in, and this one would tell you who you'd spend the rest of your life.

Okay, February eight, February eight....

8- Luke Hemmings

Are you kidding me?

Julesss96: @BrianaLoves55 but my birthday's February 8th... should I be concerned?

The curtain to my bunk being flung open, Ashton plopped down on my bunk by my legs, looking at me.

"Hiya Julie," he said.

"Hi," I said, finally taking my earbuds out.

"Who ya texting?" he asked.

"Nobody," I said, sitting up. "Tweeting, actually. One of the fans that I follow."

BrianaLoves55: @Julesss96 nah bc I'll be celebrating :)

Julesss96: Awh man. Too much Juke up in this house

"You've been avoiding him," Ashton whispered then.

I shook my head, trying to play it cool. "What? No I haven't," I said.

"Julie, it's obvious," he said. "Trust me."

BrianaLoves55: @Julesss96 eh, Harry will have to get used to it eh eh ;)

Julesss96: :/ :/ :/

"Who is that?" Ashton asked, looking at my phone screen.

"Briana," I told him. "The fan I'm tweeting."

"What's her Twitter?" he asked. "She's cute,"

Giving it to him, he shot me a thumbs up before crawling onto his own bunk, and sliding the curtain shut behind him. Michael's bunk curtain was also shut, meaning he was inside playing DS, and the door to the back was slid shut, meaning Luke and Cal were in there.

The sounds of a guitar strumming, a voice started to sing. It was Luke's, and I recognized the song. It used to be one of my favorites a few years ago. It was Amy, by Allstar Weekend.

"Set on this girl and I just can't show it, I'm takin' my time, 'cause I don't want to blow it. But I can't get her out of my mind. She looks one way, and I look another, all my friends say 'please don't bother' but I can't see the truth when I'm blind..."

They must be just recording another cover. One for their YouTube channel. Weird, they haven't done that in awhile. I was all ready for him to sing the chorus, the 'Amy, A-A-Amy,' but that didn't exactly happen.

"Oh Julie, J-J-Julie, you changed my life. Oh Julie, J-J-Julie, you make everything alright," he sang, and I couldn't stop the smile from creeping on my face.

"Wow," Cal had said once Luke was done.

"Yeah," Luke said.

"Do you, uh, like Julie that way?" Cal asked.

"I don't know," Luke said honestly. "She's like my best girl friend. She's awesome, and don't get me wrong, she's gorgeous, but I don't want to do something if it's not the right thing to do. Besides, she said that the kiss between us for truth or dare meant nothing, so I know she doesn't like me back. But then I kissed her again, that night, and she's been avoiding me ever since. So, I already feel like I'm doing something wrong. I mean the fans already think we're dating, but I just... I don't know."

The sound of Luke putting his guitar on the stand snapping me out of my thoughts, I shut the curtain quickly, and put my earbuds back in my ears, setting the song to Brave by Action Item and just thinking about what I'd just overheard.

****

"Hey, so um, did I do something?" Luke asked nervously, looking at me, but I avoided his gaze just looking down at the floor. "Wait, screw that, I know I did something wrong, sorry."

This was exactly the confrontation I was avoiding. We'd finally got to the East Rutherford hotel, and walking down to meet Lou for some makeup testing, I run into him. Perfect.

"No," I said, still not meeting his gaze. "But I've gotta go help Lou with, um... her makeup tricks. She was going to teach me a few things."

"See, that's crap," he said, a frown etched on his face. "Something's botherin you, Julie, I know it. I know you. A lot better than you think I do, actually."

"How can you be so sure?" I asked.

"You're shy, scared, introverted, you're a wallflower Julie Styles!" he practically shouted at me. "We're alike in so many ways, and you think I just know nothing about you."

"Luke, seriously. You've seen me. I'm shy. That's it. I don't like opening up to people, and you're a freaking opening act." I said, tugging my hand from his grip.

"Yes Julie," he admitted. "I'm an opening act. An opening act that you know is not the same guy offstage as he is on. Now will you please stop avoiding me? I know I kissed you, and that was wrong, but I know that can't be the only reason that you won't talk to me."

"Luke, please," I pleaded. "I told you, I'm fine."

"Julie, you know you can trust me." Luke said. "You do know that, right?"

"Yes," I said, "That's exactly the problem. I let myself become close to you Luke, just too close that I-" I started, but he cut me off.

"That you what?" he asked.

"That I-" I started, but was cut off again.

"Julie!" a voice called, and I turned to see Lou hurrying towards me. "There you are, I've been looking everywhere for you!"

"Yeah, I'm coming," I said, turning back towards Luke once more. "Bye Luke,"

Tearing my hand from Luke's once more, I turned and ran to catch up with Lou, and faintly hearing him call my name begind me.

Hey guys! Julie's Twitter is now officially real! @Julesss96, with three s's! And this part is dedicated to Briana, who will be brought into the story very very soon! ;)