chapter 1

*Zarah's pov*

"Get your un-natural god forsaken ass back here right now!" His voice boomed from behind me, from the doorway of the baby blue house I had come to consider home, making my newly formed bruises throb with new pain. That is not home, that is hell and I won't stay here any longer.

Run run run, that was all my brain could think. And I ran as fast as my half human half Jaguar body could run. "Zawaaaa where are you going?" I heard Vance cry out from his second story window. Vance! How could I have forgotten him. I have to go back to get him. A protective snarl left my lips moments before I turned fully into my Jaguar. Unlike other times when I changed where I let it take its course and enjoy the feeling of being softly rearanged, this time I rushed it feeling my cuts and bruises burn and my bones snap it is no longer a nice experiance, it felt like being pulled straight apart, but then I was put back together.

I yowled with furry as soon as I was fully changed. I could hear Vance was running, I could hear his tiny foot steps in a rush to find me.

A burst of adrenaline ran through me when I heard him cry out in pain, all hurt in my body forgotten. I ran as fast as I could towards him, but everything was going in slow motion. What is happening!? The harder I tryed to run faster the slower I ran. His screams of agony were in a faster speed than me and I could hear the sound of a metal bat being swung and hitting human flesh time and time again.

Time went back to normal and I ran to the clearing where I saw Vance on the ground. He had stopped screaming and his blue eyes were blankly starring in my direction his blonde hair that was always a contradiction to my black hair, was for once not covering those eyes that had lost all their light. He was dead.

I woke with heavy breathing and a irratic heart beat. I desperately tried to find Vance who had fallen asleep beside me, where was he? That wasn't real... Was it? I franticaly crawled out from my sleeping spot and looked around for him. My cat eyes easily adjusting to the darkness of the night. I sniffed the air and silently thanked god when I could smell him not too far away. Following his scent I found him laying under a tall poplar tree. His white fur rustling slightly in the breeze as he slept. He looked so peaceful and inoccent right there. And I hope that I will always be there to protect him no matter what.

With that thought I lay down beside him a fell into a peaceful dreamless sleep with his warm body keeping me comfort for the rest of the night.