You Are My Sunshine

Alex felt John's warm arms wrap around him, tears were stinging his eyes.

"Shhh, shh, shh, Lexi, you're okay," John murmured into Alexander's ears. "It was just a dream."

Alex had dreamed about his Mum's death again. "I know." He hugged John. "Sing for me, Laurens?"

John started softly singing. It was the song John would often sing for Alexander when he needed comforting. "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You'll never know, dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away."

---*---*---

John weakly smiled up at Alexander, his head in his boyfriend's lap. "I," he coughed and a bit of blood appeared on his lip, "I love you, Lexi."

"I," Alex's voice cracked. "I love you, too, Laurens."

---*---*---

"Everything is gone," Alexander whispered, staring at his and John's apartment building go up in flames. "Everything."

"I know, Sunshine, I know. But we're going to be fine." John smiled sadly, wrapping an arm around Alexander's waist. "We're alive, we both are."

"But everything's gone."

"Shhh."

"Everything."

John started singing, quiet enough for only Alexander to hear. "You are my sunshine."

---*---*---

Blood surrounded the two men. Tears were in both of their eyes.

"I'm fine," John murmured.

---*---*---

Alexander's eyes flicked open. "John, love, wake up, please," he whispered sounding almost scared as he gently shook his boyfriend awake.

"Yeah, darling? What's up? Did you have another nightmare, hon?" John asked, noticing the tears in Alex's eyes.

Alex nodded.

"Which one was it?"

"The hurricane."

"Oh, Lexi, I'm so sorry." Alexander heard sympathy in John's voice.

"Sing?" Alex asked, hugging his boyfriend.

Instead of replying, John sang quietly to Alex. "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine."

---*---*---

John had been shot and was putting on a brave face for Alexander, but he was a doctor (in training) and knew that he was dying. "I'm- I'm fine."

"No you aren't." Alexander let out a sob. John wasn't fooling Alex. "The ambulance will get here soon, love." He pushed a hair away from John's face. "I can't lose you. Not you, too."

John's face was pale, making his blood splattered freckles more visible. "Sing for me?"

Alex nodded, wiping away a tear so it wouldn't fall onto John's face and started singing the first song that came into his head. "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine."

John was getting paler by the second.

"You make me happy when skies are grey."

I love you, John mouthed.

Alexander wanted to reply but John asked him to sing earlier. "You'll never know, dear, how much I love you."

Alexander helplessly watched as the life flickered out of John's eyes. His John, his amazing, beautiful, John was dead. Memories of Laurens flashed before Alex's eyes. John, always full of energy. John softly singing to Alexander. John smiling at Alex.

Tears stinging his eyes and rolling down his cheeks, Alexander sang the last words to himself. "Please don't take my sunshine away."