14. we're together

for the second time in two weeks, i'm back at brim's peak. i've only been here once before the time darwin brought me, but here i am, back at the rock that seemed to be a go-to for when times get tough. 

when darwin had first dragged me out of his house, his actions were driven by an fiery inferno of anger that encompassed him. it took a few shakes of his shoulders to finally pull him out of his vengeful trance and, ironically enough, i found myself pulling him to the aforementioned cliff.

the silence from a fortnight ago is present again as we sit on the surprisingly secluded grounds.

"so...are you going to talk about your eye on your own, or am i going to have to make you talk about it?" i finally ask.

"you could make me," he sneers, the faintest of smirks tugging at his lips.

i roll my eyes, already having expected to hear something like that come out of his mouth. "i thought we agreed that there would be no naughty business involved in this deal."

"we won't need to worry about that deal anymore," he sighs, falling backward onto the soft blades of grass. the sun has already risen, its soft, golden rays highlighting the more structured areas of his face. his expression is calm and relaxed, as if he'd finally made his way over a steep hill. but somehow, his eyes are still dark and hooded, like all he's done is pile on more problems for himself.

"what do you mean?" i ask, brows scrunched. my heart speeds up a little in anticipation for his answer. i don't know why.

"riley and i are together now." he laughs humorlessly. "that's actually why i have this black eye."

my mouth falls open, eyes widening to an extent that's almost abnormal, and i have to stop myself from gasping. "i...i don't understand. riley gave you that?" my fingers reach up to gingerly touch the blackened skin, and i feel him lean into my touch for a moment — just for a moment, but it's still there — before shying away.

he shakes his head, curls swaying from side to side as he stares at his hands. "no, of course not. this douchebag named harley did it because it's apparently wrong for her to like anybody other than himself." his jaw automatically locks at the mention of the 'douchebag' and i think it's best not to ask for anymore information on the guy.

there's another silence before i speak up again. "so...you and riley, huh?"

"me and riley."

"the proper usage is riley and—"

i don't get to finish my sentence because darwin's finger is pressed against my lips. "shh, don't ruin the moment."

i laugh against his hand, turning my attention toward the gradually lightening sky. the sun can be seen in all its glory, rising over the horizon, and a question sets into my mind. "will you ever forgive your mother?"

"will you ever go back to school?" he asks, not missing a beat. his hazel eyes are wide as they stare down at me.

"n—"

"yes, kyra. the answer to that is yes."

a/n: ayyeee. so what do you guys think so far? do you guys ship rarwin xD (jkjk) or dyra? i already know the answer to this lmao but oh well it's worth a shot to ask.