bonus chapter #1

a/n: welcome! this is the first of two bonus chapters. this is in...

darwin's pov

(chapter 16. rain drops)

she's in front of me. but at the same time, she isn't.

the rain's falling in heavy sheets, almost slicing through me, but the only thing i can think about is her.

her blonde hair, darkened two shades from wetness; her rubber boots, inches deep in puddles; her brown eyes, a shade away from being black as the night.

i squeeze my eyes shut, as if that'll fade away the image of her. but it only seems to make it worse.

god, she's messing with my head.

everywhere i go, i'm always wondering where she might be at the very moment. every word i speak, i'm thinking, what would she say to that? often times, it probably looks like i'm lost in another world, somewhere that's easier, somewhere that's fair. because i know what i'm doing is wrong — leading two girls on and falling for the one i'm not even with. it's fucked up.

the worst part is, i think riley notices it. i think she sees how when i talk to her, i'm not really listening. i think she can tell that every time i hug or kiss her, it's half-hearted...and sooner or later, it'll dwindle down to no heart at all. our hugs, our kisses...they'll mean nothing anymore. and i think that even though she notices it, she doesn't care. but the part that scares me the most, is that maybe i don't either. because when i look at riley, i'm not really looking at her.

i'm looking at her.

the girl with a sharp tongue and constantly-rolling eyes and a heart of gold that she doesn't want to show. but i see it. i see her.

and she sees me.