Avoiding Him

Thursday

The next day I went to school quietly. The bus ride there was quiet. First and second period was quiet, and so was lunch, third, fourth, fifth and sixth period. I got called on a couple times, and it really didn't improve my mood, but I answered respectfully that I didn't know anyway.

The bell rang at the end of sixth period and I got out of my desk slowly. Yesterday Randy had told me to meet him at my locker before seventh period started. I didn't want to though. My heart hurt because of him, and seeing him would probably make me cry. On the other hand, maybe he wanted to say something he couldn't have said in front of Marina at the time. Might as well go talk to him. Besides, my math notebook and textbook were in my locker. So I spent all the time I had from my desk, out the door, down the hall, to the left, and half-way to my locker debating on whether I should speak with Randy or not. 

But by the time my locker was open, I realized I didn't want to talk to him. The dumb jerk had already hurt my feelings. I didn't have to take this. I retrieved my items for math class and slammed my locker shut. And as I began to push against the crowds of students, I heard Randy's voice behind me. 

"Marinette! Wait!" I pushed through faster. My last class was just at the end of the row of lockers on my left. If I made it to the room before he caught up, I wouldn't have to face Randy. I imagined him trying to weave his way through hundreds of bodies just to get to me. 

I wanted to slam his head into the door of a locker the more I thought about it. 

Then suddenly, with a final sharp veer left, I was in safe territory. My last class, with my favorite teacher, and one of my closest friends. Well, one of the four. I could totally handle the rest of Thursday. No Randy? No problem!

Moving to my seat, the furthest aisle against the wall with windows and third seat from the front, I sat down hurriedly. Behind me, my friend Anna popped her bubble-gum bubble. "I heard you and Randy broke up." She stated. Leave it to Anna May to get right to the point.

I stiffened and drew in a breath. "Heard it from who?" I exhaled my words. "Erica heard from Reagan who heard from Teagan that Marina said you and Randy broke up." "Glad to know I'm finally news." I stated dully. Anna gave a dry laugh.

"So it's true then?" She wanted to know, curling a strand of long, straight black hair around one finger. The tips were orange this month, I noticed.

"Yeah. Except he wanted to talk to me at my locker this afternoon." I admitted quickly. Anna popped her gum again. "But you didn't, did you." She made it sound like a humorous statement instead of a question. "That's why you ran in here." I hesitate, then nod.

"Well I'll tell you this. My brother's best friend has apparently started talking about you since the beginning of this month." Anna told me. "That's a pretty specific time. Who's Jeremiah's best friend?" I questioned with a grin. Anna shrugged, much to my disappointment. Maybe getting a rebound would be good for me.

"I only know because Jere mentioned it when he was on the phone with someone. I don't really care about who my brother is friends with to be honest." She replied.

Then suddenly the bell rings.

"Oh and hey. Erica and I were gonna go see a movie this afternoon. If you wanna come then be at my house at 7. And bring some money." Anna May adds before class starts.