Sick Decisions

By the time I wave goodbye to Anna from my front porch, I feel sick. Like, throwing-up-for-three-hours-straight sick. Guess that feeling from this morning I had with the nervous butterflies in my stomach wasn't just butterflies. Maybe it was a sign. Huh. Randy makes me sick when I see him now. 

My head hurts as Anna honks and drives away. I put on a smile, then turn and let myself into the house. Inside, it instantly feels cooler. I can't help but sigh as I take my bag off and hand it on the coat rack in the foyer beside me. 

"Evie? Dad! You guys home yet?" I call. My voice bounces around the rooms as I walk into the kitchen and get a can of Dr. Pepper. No reply from anyone. In fact, no noise at all, aside from the tick of the clock in the living room across from me. I pop the top off my soda can as I reach a conclusion. 

I'm home by myself on a Friday, not to mention lonely and kinda hungry, when I could be having fun at a football game with my friends and food and high school life. In the spur of the moment, I feel a lot of emotions as I decide what to do next. Anger at Randy for dumping me for Marina, sadness for the same reason too, basically. Hungry since I haven't eaten since lunch. Confused as to why Dad and Evie aren't home. Then complete and utter disbelief because Anna was offering me a ride to the game the whole time she drove me home. And I had turned her down at least 5 times. 

I had let her down. And Dad and Evie had let me down. I was going to that game. Sick or not sick, I was getting there.