IV. To Grovel

40 messages. No response.

30 calls. Declined.

Hay. He's used the word "Sorry" probably a thousand times in his messages and has exhausted all variations of his sentence to accept fault and yet she didn't respond. He couldn't blame her. The way he asked her was out-of-line and if there was anything Maine hated, it was any sign of disrespect for her. 

It was one of those things he always loved about her. That she knew her worth. 

Ugh, Rj. Stupid. Stupid.

"Riza, wala akong date dun sa awards event next month. Samahan mo nalang ako."

"Huh? Parati ka namang walang date."

"Samahan mo na ako. Please?" 

Riza frowned but agreed. "Sige."

"Pagawa ka nalang ng gown kay Maine. Free ka ngayon di ba? Tara puntahan na natin."

"AYON. Kaya pala." Enlightenment dawned on Riza's face. "Bakit mo kailangan ng excuse pumunta sa kanya? Nagpagawa ka daw ng suit sa kanya, i-follow up mo nalang yun 'no."

Rj looked embarrassed. "Hindi pa kasi ready. Gusto ko na sana puntahan siya today. May appointment ka na nga eh." He explained what happened a few days back. "Galit pa eh. Si Mama Ten lang kinakausap."

"Well, you can't blame her bakit nagalit."

"I know. Kasalanan ko nga and I want to talk to her sana. Please naman? Help?"

"Hay, o sige na. Halika na."

Riza and Rj walked into Maine's shop as she was finishing her consultation with another customer. 

"Riza! Hi!" Maine greeted. "You need a gown daw? Sasama ka dun sa event?"

"Oo nga eh. Kanina ko lang nalaman." Riza said, giving Rj the side-eye.

"O sige. May mga peg ka ba in mind? Or you want me draw one for you?" Maine turned and headed to her drawing table.

"Psst. Mag CR ka muna!" Rj whispered to Riza, elbowing her.

Riza told Maine, "Wala kasi akong pegs so kung okay lang ikaw nalang mag-design? Umm, Menggay, pwedeng maki-CR?"

"Ah okay, diyan lang sa back. May sign naman yung door."

With Riza gone, Maine ignored Rj on purpose. He cleared his throat. "Maine?"

"Hmmm?"

"For you." He handed her a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolates. "Sorry about the other day. I didn't mean to come off like that."

Maine looked at him, assessing him while tapping her pencil. Then, after a few seconds, finally said, "Don't talk to me like that again."  He nodded. "Pwede naman kasing magtanong ng maayos."

"I know. Mali ako dun. Bati na tayo, please?"  He begged. 

Seeing how remorseful he was, she sighed. "Fine. But talk to me like that again, I swear I will cut off your tongue."

He smiled, tentatively. "Noted. Sorry talaga."

"Sorry din. I guess I dragged that situation longer than I should have."

"And ako naman, naunahan ako ng selos."

Maine rolled her eyes. "That's another thing. I don't mean to sound rude, but wala kang right magselos 'no. Matagal na tayong break."

"Bati na tayo, di ba?"  When she nodded, he continued. "Technically, may right ako magselos."

"What?!?"