Chapter 4

Alex was currently having a video conversation with her best friend Darcy. Darcy was just like Alex, except her wolf was only dormant for she still had a scent.

She had told Darcy all that had happened since she returned, including her run-in with a shadow wolf.

"I never really thought they existed," Darcy exclaimed, shocked. "I can't believe that you survived."

"If I hadn't leapt about in the trees the first time, I wouldn't have. I don't know why he didn't chase the second time" Darcy shook her head in disbelief. "Also, I went to get my bag today but it wasn't there, so he must have taken it. At least my bow and quiver were still up in the tree. But, I've laid out several traps around the area which should discourage him from roaming there."

Darcy giggled as she imagined what it might look like "So what's going on with this Gasham guy." She asked, changing the subject.

"Apparently, the future alpha of Gasham saw me in the market and now says he's my mate." Darcy snorted in response. "I told Markus that I can't detect my mate and would thus have to rely on his word, which is not good enough. All he could say was that there was nothing suspicious about the pack."

"The fact that he says you're his mate already makes them suspicious." Alex merely nodded in return. "Why didn't you tell him what the fates told you?"

She shook her head as she fiddled with her fingers. "I got the feeling that he wouldn't listen." She said sadly. Darcy sighed. "He isn't himself lately. You should have heard how he spoke about Jason."

Darcy tightened her lips as she slightly shook her head. "Something is fishy about this whole thing."

"I know, and Anja isn't here to help. She went off again."

Darcy bit her lip in thought. "You should put those hacking skills of yours to good use and try and find out more."

"I intend to do that tonight when everyone's asleep." She assured Darcy, "I just hope the signal holds with the repeaters giving so many problems in the ravine lately." Alex groaned out.

"Tell me about it, we have the same problem here," she said rolling her eyes before they both said their goodbyes. Ardaman did not have satellites or any form of internet services, so they had to make use of a long line of repeaters from the nearest portal. The portals themselves had been modified to work as massive repeaters.

Alex was out riding in an attempt to get rid of some stress. Alpha Markus and Beta Albert had left to fetch the visiting members of the Gasham pack this morning. They would return just before lunch tomorrow, and by then, Alex would be long gone. She had found evidence of a heinous plot in the making when she hacked into various devices of the Gasham leaders and she was the key to it all. They were using a witch to fool the leaders of Boronduin and she would therefore be unable to expose them without Anja's help, and Anja would not return for a year. So, if she ran away, her pack and the valley would be safe.

It was just getting dark when she returned to the manor. She was exhausted from lack of sleep the previous few nights. As she made her way to the stairs she was unexpectedly yanked back by her arm. She looked up into the face of the beta.

"Where have you been?" Albert asked angrily, holding tightly onto her arm.

Alex was at a loss for words as she stared at Albert, shocked. "You-you're back? So soon?" she stuttered in disbelief.

"Yes, the inns are all full this week so Markus decided to return today." He said curtly. "Now where have you been?"

"I was out riding." She said wincing slightly as Albert tightened his hold.