Chapter 2: The Big Day

A few months of big planning passed, and just as Dylan promised, we were getting married.

I went dress shopping with Aunt Cassie and she helped me find the perfect dress. It was a pure white ball gown dress and it made me feel like a princess. It was beyond perfect, just like Dylan. 

Soon I would be Nicole O'Brien and I would be married to the man of my dreams. I got my makeup and hair done at a salon and I loved the outcome. My hair was pin straight, and I had soft brown colors for eyeshadow with a light pink lip stick. I couldn't wait to see Dylan in his suit waiting at the wedding arch for me. 

We decided to have our wedding in a chapel overlooking a beautiful beach, and for the reception, big doors would open so the party extended onto the beach. There would be tents and tables scattered across the beach and I couldn't wait. 

I didn't see Dylan at all in the morning, he drove to his parent's house to get ready. But before he left, and I was still in bed, he whispered,"I love you, Nicole. I've been waiting for this moment to come and I'm glad it is today," he kissed my cheek and I heard the front door close. 

After I got my hair and makeup done, I put on my gown and vail. Aunt Cassie took a few pictures of me and then we drove to the chapel.

Since my dad passed away, my mom would be walking me down the aisle. I haven't seen her in a while since I moved, but she seemed really happy for me when I told her everything. 

Once we arrived, I saw the back of Dylan as he was posing for pictures. I couldn't help but stare a little, he will be forever mine, I thought to myself. I then felt someone tap my shoulder and that snapped me out of my thoughts, it was my aunt. 

"Come on Nicole, your mom is here," she said as she lead me to my mom.

"Mom?" I said as I saw the back of her. She turned around and I saw tears in her eyes. 

"Nicole..." she walked over to me and we hugged. My eyes started to water, I couldn't control it. "You look beautiful, sweetie," she said as she pulled away. "Now, I've never met Dylan before, but I trust that he is a great man, and if everything is true that you've told me about him, then I think he is perfect for you."

"Awww, thanks mom," I said as a few tears fell down my face.

"I love you, Nicole," my mom said as she pulled me into another hug. "I wish dad were here to see you," she said. 

"Me too..." is all I could get out. It was too hard to think about that right now without me starting to cry. 

"I hate to interrupt, but I think I hear church bells. That means that the ceremony is starting!" Aunt Cassie said and clapped. 

I walked to the big church doors with my mom next to me and Aunt Cassie was holding my dress. I pulled my vail over my face and then the doors opened. 

All I saw was Dylan, it was if it were only me and him in the room. He was wearing a black and white tuxedo and he looked so handsome. His eyes started to water, and a tear fell down my face, happy tears of course. I walked down the aisle and the smile on my face never went away. 

Once I reached Dylan, I gave my mom and aunt a hug and they walked to their pew. I stared into Dylan's watery golden brown eyes and that caused me to smile more. The tears stopped, but my eyes were still watery. 

Then the priest said, "We gather here to unite these two people in marriage. Today they publicly declare their private devotion to each other. The essence of this commitment is the acceptance of each other in entirety, as lover, companion, and friend. A good and balanced relationship is one in which neither person is overpowered nor absorbed by the other, one in which neither person is possessive of the other, one in which both give their love freely. Marriage, ideally, is a sharing of responsibilities, hopes, and dreams. It takes a special effort to grow together, survive hard times, and be loving."