Chapter 11: The Funeral

Hey everyone. Sorry if it's been a while since I've published a chapter. I'm having a terrible writers block and I'm not enjoying it. :(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today was the day. I don't know how I'm going to handle it. Dylan and I have been talking about it every night and the conversation would always end with both of us in tears.

Today was the day of Sofia's funeral.

I put on my black dress and black heels. I looked in the mirror and started to cry. I then turned around and saw Dylan trying to put on his tie. I quickly wiped away my tears and walked over to Dylan. His hands were shaking and he couldn't pit his black tie on. I gently placed my hands on top of his to try to calm him down and I whispered, "It's okay..."

I then lifted my hands and put his tie on for him. When I was finished, Dylan pulled me into an embrace and I hid my face into his chest and cried and he started to cry too.

Derek was at Aunt Cassie's house getting ready. We were such an emotional mess that it would probably make Derek more upset, so we decided to bring him to her house.

I pulled away from the embrace and took Dylan's hand. I started to walk out of our bedroom and Dylan followed still holding onto my hand. I stopped in front of Sofia's room and the door was closed. I turned to face Dylan and took a deep breath.

"It's for the best..." I said and felt tears forming in my eyes.

Dylan nodded and I slowly turned the doorknob to her room. We both entered and Dylan closed the door behind him.

Tears started to trickle down my face and I turned to Dylan, tears were forming in his eyes as well.

"Our princess-" I got choked up.

Dylan put his arm around my waist and he said, "We should probably start to go."

I nodded and walked out of the room with him behind me.

We then got into the car and we started to drive to the funeral parlor.

We arrived thirty minutes before everyone else so we could rehearse what the ceremony would be like. There were daisies on the alter next to Sofia in her coffin because those were her favorite flowers. In the coffin next to her were a few of her stuffed animals so they could be with her in her 'kingdom'.

After everything was set up, Dylan and I were at the front door greeting family and friends that entered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was time for the funeral to start.

Dylan and I walked up to the podium and Dylan said, "Thank you all for coming today for the loss of Sofia O'Brien." A few tears fell from his eyes but he quickly wiped them away. "Sofia was so special, she made me smile every day, even if I was having a hard time. She was our princess. Everyday I would always look forward to playing with her and see her bright smile and her eternal happiness. She was our daughter," I held onto Dylan's hand and squeezed it gently. "and Derek's best friend."

Then, it was my turn to say something. "It's been hard for Dylan, Derek and I. She was a fighter through the hard times when she was battling leukemia-" I got choked up and covered my mouth with my hand and started to cry. I shook my head and Dylan pulled me into an embrace and once again, started to cry along. I looked at everyone that had come and they were crying as well, this was one of the hardest moments of my life and I would never recover from it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone that came was now standing in the cemetary and Sofia's coffin was being lowered into the ground.

I leaned my head on Dylan's shoulder and cried     along with him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Family and friends came back to our house afterwards to try to comfort Dylan and I.

"I'm so sorry..." Aunt Cassie came up to us and said. She pulled me into a hug and then gave Dylan one as well.

I then took Dylan's hand and squeezed it.

"If you ever need anything, just let me know and I'll be here for you," she said and then walked away.

After about 2 hours, everyone left and it was just Dylan, Derek and I.

"Can we watch Finding Dory, for Sofia?" Derek asked and a tear fell down his face.

I nodded and said, "I think she would like that."

Derek put the DVD in the player and he sat on the couch in-between Dylan and I.

I must've fallen asleep during the movie because I woke up laying on Dylan's lap and and I was holding his hand. ChiChi was curled up in a ball sleeping next to me on the couch.

"How was your nap?" He asked and I looked into his eyes.

I groaned in reply and he laughed lightly.

"I couldn't fall asleep..." Dylan said and I sat up and faced him. I cupped his face with my hands and said, "It's going to be hard for a long time..." Then placed a peck on his lips.

He nodded and I rested my head on his shoulder.

Then I lifted my head off of Dylan's shoulder and in the doorway of the living room, I saw Derek standing there rubbing his eyes and he said, "Mommy, Daddy, I can't fall asleep..."

"Come here," I said and gestured for him to join Dylan and I on the couch.

Derek laid his head on Dylan's lap and fell asleep quickly. I guess knowing that we were here made him comfortable enough to fall asleep.

I rested my head back on his shoulder and whispered, "I love you, Dyl..."

"I love you too, Nicole."

My eyes then started to flutter closed, but I forced them to stay open. I guess Dylan noticed because he said, "You should try to go to sleep, we've all had a long day."

In response, I closed my eyes and held onto Dylan's hand and fell asleep.