CHAPTER #15- The Experiments

Riley’s POV:

I swim over to Dr. Sean, who’s standing at the edge of the pool crossing his arms with a serious look painted across his face.

“Before we begin, I need you to take off everything but what you’re wearing.”

I take my hair out of it’s long french braid and place my hair band and hair tie on the side of the pool.

“Um, that includes jewelry.”

I scowl and take off the necklace Peter gave me. I don’t know if pixie dust works in this realm, but without that necklace I don’t feel as secure. If they do any testing on it, I could be in big trouble. And not just from Peter.

“Your bracelet?”

“I told you already, I can’t remove it! If I could I would’ve by now. This freaking thing is what turned me into a mermaid in the first place!” I give him a look that’s mixed with dread and anger.

“Fine. Could you please go to the shallow end of the pool for me?” Dr. Sean says, rolling his hazel brown eyes at me.

“Okay.” I groan back at him, sounding like a little six year old.

I swim to the three-foot section of the pool. I lay against the side, the cool blue tiles rubbing against my back. It was almost...soothing?

The pool was fairly warm, but it was still salt water. My skin was starting to burn because the salt water was seeping into all of the small cuts I’ve gotten from tree branches scraping against me when hunting with Peter.

Peter Pan.

I missed him so much. He should have been here by now, and instead of doing these stupid experiments with these insane scientists, he should be carrying me over the sea and back to Neverland, with the Lost Boys waiting for our arrival.

I would even take his sinister Shadow just to get out of this place.

The Lost Boys and I get along really well now, and some I even consider brothers. I’d never had a brother, so it was nice change that had taken a while to get used to. I knew I could trust them. Especially Felix.

Dr. Sean and Dr. O’Neil pace over to wearing I was resting.

“Here’s your first task: Swim back and forth as fast as you can without stopping to rest. We want to see how much physical activity you can take.” Dr. O’Neil says.

“Oh, and don’t even think about stopping,” Dr. Sean adds, a devilish look spreading across his old and wrinkly face, “Because if you do, a hot metal prod will come up and burn you.”

I give them a nervous glance.

So what they’re saying is that I need to swim as fast as I can without stopping until I pass out? I think to myself.

“Ready?”

“Yeah.”

I take a deep breath, trying to calm down. But how could I?

Dr. O’Neil holds out a timer.

“Ready…”

I hold onto the wall to push off from, pushing my tail against the side and grasping the edge of the pool with one hand to keep myself upright.

“Set…”

I just realized how hungry I was. I haven’t eaten for two days. Shit.

“GO!”

I take off, swimming at maximum speed. The pool was at least 300 feet long, so I didn’t have to turn too much. I was going at least 50 miles per hour.