Chapter 13

When Sydney woke up the following morning she was almost too sore to move. She took a shower trying not to cry as the hot water pounded some of the worst cuts on her body. There was nothing she could do to hide the bruising, and the thought of clothes scratching her all day made her shudder, so she chose a light sundress in a pale pink to wear. It had capped sleeves and stopped just above her knees, but it was loose enough not to feel too rough on her back. She didn't have a choice with the shoes; she only had a pair of flip-flops or clunky work boots, so she opted for the flip-flops then she pulled her hair back into a ponytail and considered herself ready for the day.

When she entered the dining room, she was disappointed to see it empty. She had hoped that Cole would be there, but he had told her that he had wanted to get an early start, so she wasn't surprised at his absence. She ate slowly, not sure what to do with herself. He said he would pick her up, but he hadn't told her when.

Sydney had just finished and was debating going back to her room when the door to the annex opened, and Cole walked in with the dogs trailing behind him. She was so pleased to see them that she smiled widely. "I was just wondering what I should do until you got here." She leaned down as Timmy rushed towards her his tongue lolling out of his mouth. He looked pleased with life.

She scooped him, and he gave her kisses before wiggling to be let down. "Did he do all right last night?" she asked, not looking at Cole. She could feel his displeasure.

He must have picked up on her sudden tension, and he knew the reason for it right away. "I'm not mad at you Sydney. I'm mad at myself for asking you to go down that well. You look like you've been beaten." She could hear the anger in his tone.

"I'm fine, I'll heal. Besides, what other choice was there? To leave Timmy at the bottom of the well?" Sydney asked. She saw his lip twitch. "See, I told you that name would work."

"Are you ready?" Cole asked with a nod towards the door.

"Yes." She stood, emptying her tray and following him out of the door. "We're going to go by the house, right?"

"Do you really want to?" He sounded bored.

"Yes, Cole, I really want to." Sydney nodded

His eyes met hers as Sydney said his name, something she had never done without it being an insult or come on, and when he sighed she knew that she had won. They would go by the house.

The drive was silent, but surprisingly not awkward. Only the sound of the panting of the dogs filled the cab of the truck. When he pulled up in front of the house, it looked different. It felt alive in the sunlight. Sydney hopped out of the truck and walked towards the porch.

"Be careful Sydney; I don't know how safe it is," Cole warned.

Sydney looked over at him, enjoying the sound of her name on his lips. She smiled at him and nodded her agreement before she started to climb the steps. She peeked in a few of the windows with Cole standing close behind her, watching. She couldn't help but try the doorknob and gave a gleeful yelp as it turned under her hand.

She looked back at Cole, and he frowned but didn't tell her to stop.

"I thought you said it was locked," she said in a hushed tone as she stepped over the threshold.

"It always has been in the past." His tone was not soft like hers.

She knew it. He had tried to get into the house before. Cole was just as big a snoop as she was and the look that she shot him told him so.

"Maybe this is the Lady of the house's way of inviting us in for a visit." The thought struck Sydney's fancy and she smiled.

Sydney walked into a massive front hall with an ornate staircase leading up to a gallery above. There were large dark wooden doors to either side of the entry with massive red velvet curtains pulled to one side. It was like a museum. It was as if someone just closed the door and walked away. Sydney looked up to the top of the gallery and fell in love with the stained-glass window. It was massive and took up most of the landing. The colors were all in yellows and browns, the colors of the desert, and it warmed the house.

She silently moved into the parlor and pulled aside one of the sofa drop cloths. Underneath was a beautiful brown leather that was well worn. It was easy to see that this was a house that was loved. There were photos on the mantel and the walls, and she slowly circled, looking at them all. There was one photo of a couple standing in front of the house when it had been new. The dark headed woman was staring up at the man adoringly, and she knew she that she was right, they were in love.

"I told you they were in love." Sydney held up the photo for Cole to look at and he slowly approached her, taking it from her hands and turning it towards what little light there was coming in from the cracks in the shutters.

"I don't know how you get that from a photograph," he said before placing it back where it had been.

"Come on grumpy, let's go see what's upstairs." She grabbed Cole's hand without thinking and dragged him towards the stairs. They were halfway up it when he tugged back. She looked at their hands and then up at him, suddenly hesitant. Was he mad that she had taken his hand, had she overstepped a boundary that she wasn't supposed to?

"I-I-I'm sorry," she stuttered, "i-it just felt natural." She tried to free her hand, and he wouldn't let her go as he stood there, staring at their interlocked fingers.

"Am I such an ogre, are you honestly that afraid of me?" Cole's voice was worried.

"Yes." she bit her lip watching him, wondering what his next reaction would be.

"I would never hurt you Sydney," he gently said.

"No, not physically, but your words hurt Cole," Sydney said honestly.

She had no clue the picture she made for him, standing on the stairs with the light coming in the stained-glass behind her. He suddenly realized how beautiful she truly was, but there were still doubts in his head. How could she be so...she had to be after something, but at that moment, he didn't care.

He pulled her to him and took her lips with his in a gentle, almost hesitant kiss.

"Do you know how badly I want you, Sydney?" He placed small little kisses on her eyes and cheeks.

"Not nearly as bad as I want you, Cole." She sighed as leaned into him.

"I don't understand-" he began, but she cut him off mid-sentence.

"Stop, just stop thinking." She took his hand and pulled him up the stairs. "You overthink, just feel Cole." She pushed through the first door she came to, and there was a massive bed with a drop cloth on it, she pulled him towards it, the invitation clear. "Here it's just you and me, Cole. Here time stands still."

Cole pulled her to him gently. It surprised her that for such a large man he was always so gentle. "We shouldn't..."

She took matters into her own hands and kissed him, pressing into him until he started to return her kiss.

"Are you sure, Sydney? After this, we can't go back." He sounded unsure.

"I don't want to go back Cole," Sydney reassured him.

He kissed her hard, a new urgency taking over them both. All of their pent-up frustration exploded into uncontrollable desire. When she reached for the hem of his t-shirt he broke away, stepping back.

They were both breathing hard as their eyes met. The desire in Cole's gaze was evident, but it was also apparent that he was fighting it. He gave a deep, shaky breath then without explanation he turned away from her. "I'll wait for you in the truck."

Sydney watched as he silently left her. She listened to his footsteps on the stairs until they faded into nothing. That was twice she had offered herself to him and twice he had said no to her. She fought back the tears, burying them deep as another voice rose up from the past. 'Face it Sydney. You'll never be the pretty one, the one the man wants to take home to mom. You'll be the one that will do until the right one comes along.' Then she heard Cole's voice, 'You're not worth it.' It was apparent after today that he still felt that she wasn't worth it. He might have felt sorry for saying it, she was learning he was a sensitive man, but he must have meant it.

She took her time, putting everything back as it had been then pulled the front door closed behind her, locking it as she went. She wondered if the plain Mr. Babcock had known how lucky he was to have won the beautiful Mrs. Babcock's heart.