Chapter 19

Sydney was still sitting with Maddie long after everyone else had dispersed for the evening. They were both content to hide away in the kitchen with a bottle of wine, and they had moved from relaxed to giggly as they talked about this and that. Sydney was enjoying herself.

Howard checked in with his wife before he retired to the study to get some work done, and he had reported that Aunt Viola had gone to bed for the evening and that Cole had disappeared after dinner. With him gone there had been little reason for either Theresa or Bridget to hang around, so they too had gone to bed.

"How did you and Cole's father meet?" Sydney asked, putting her feet on the chair opposite her just as Maddie had done. They had both lost their shoes long ago.

Maddie's face turned dreamy as she sipped her wine.

"I was a landscape designer for a local architectural firm that Howard had hired to restore this house. He had decided that he wanted a garden similar to the one that would have been here historically, so I joined the team. I knew of his family of course, but I was hardly impressed. When I first met him, he was reserved, almost cold, I think Cole gets that from him, but as we worked together I started to see another side to him. He was warm and sensitive and very patient. I was amazed that such a large man had that much gentleness in him."

Sydney got that, she was amazed at Cole's gentleness when he chose to use it.

"When we fell in love I had stars in my eyes and didn't know what a challenge our relationship would be. My family was very different from the Eastons. My mother was an elementary school teacher, and my father was in construction, we weren't poor, but we weren't rich. Howard's family was from an entirely different world. A world that, I'm guessing by Bridget's comment, that you know all about."

Sydney nodded, she knew their world well, and it wasn't one she particularly liked.

"I didn't fit in, I still don't. Howard tries to protect me as much as he can, but I also try to fit in as much as I can, so we make it work. I don't care for acting one way in public and another in private, you are who you are all of the time. If that's something that a person has to change, then there's something wrong."

"You love each other very much, don't you?" Sydney didn't realize how wistful she looked.

"You sound almost surprised." Maddie looked over Sydney's shoulder at her son who had just joined them. Sydney was looking hard at her wine glass, so she missed Maddie's look and Cole's entrance.

"I don't come from a loving family, my mother died when I was an infant, and my step-mother never took to me. I wish I had a mother like you, Cole's lucky."

"Yes, I am," Cole agreed, as he took the chair next to Sydney.

She hadn't known he was there and she jumped at the sound of his voice, sitting up in her chair. Just like that, she went from a relaxed buzz to a nervous wreck. Her eyes fell to his lips that had kissed her so passionately earlier.

He watched her as silence descended on the kitchen.

"I'm going to turn in for the evening," Maddie said as she rose and left the kitchen, placing a kiss on Cole's head as she departed.

"And another hint is revealed about what makes the mysterious Sydney tick." Cole leaned back in his chair, continuing to watch her. They silently looked at each other for what felt like an eternity to Sydney before he turned his attention to the empty bottle of wine. He picked it up. "How much did you and my mother drink?"

"Enough." Sydney pushed her half-full glass away from her.

"Enough for you to answer a few questions?"