Chapter 29

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

Mitch groaned as the continuous blinking woke him up from his slumber.

"What the hell is that noise?"

His eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the bright light.

He was in a quiet room, with only the soft sound of puffing air and beeping.

The brunette examined his surroundings, finding that he was in the hospital.

Memories slowly started to come back as he regained consciousness.

Wait, when did he fall asleep?

When did they get to the hospital?

Wasn't he in the ambulance with-

Mitch immediately sat up, feeling pain coursing through his body.

Wincing at the pain, he realized he was held back by needles and tubes connected to his body.

An oxygen mask still sat on his face, which he soon ripped off.

Bandages wrapped his chest, legs, arms, head, and wrists.

His breathing became heavy. He hated hospitals.

He looked beside him.

A small table stood peacefully next to his bed.

Flowers of all colors sat in a beautiful clear vase, with cards from their family and friends surrounding it.

Balloons were held down by wrapped up weights.

They said "Get Well Soon!" and "Feel Better!"

Mitch smiled at the kind gestures.

But, something else caught his attention when he looked farther away from the table.

"Scott?" He whispered as tears formed in his brown eyes, sounding raspy and barley audible.

Scott was asleep in another hospital bed, but he had so much more machines attached to him.

Keeping him alive.

Tears streamed down his cheeks as he tried reaching for Scott's hand once more.

So close yet so far.

Mitch's hand cramped for Scott's presence.

He tried his best to ignore the pain.

All he wanted was to be with his soulmate.

What if this was the last time he could be with Scott alive?

What if Scott dies before Mitch has the chance to say how much he loves him?

Mitch brought his arm back and slowly swung his legs over the side of the bed, being careful of the soreness in his muscles.

His feet touched the cold tile floor, sending shivers up his spine.

He slowly stood up, putting more and more pressure on his legs.

Mitch made sure to grab all the machinery that was connected to him through tubes, being careful that nothing accidentally ripped out.

He held onto the table in between them for support as he took baby steps towards Scott.