Chapter 17 - My Fault.

All Rights Reserved

©Sapphiresamo 

----

Chapter 17

My Fault.

I woke the next morning to the enticing smell of food being cooked. But it took me a couple of minutes to figure out that it wasn’t coming from my own kitchen but in fact Mary’s.

Lazily getting out of Mary’s bed, I glanced at the calendar across the bedroom to finally realise it was Monday. It took me a moment to realise that I had school today, and so I rushed out of the bedroom and into the kitchen in record time.

Upon entering the extravagant kitchen, I found Mary cheerfully making breakfast. On the granite counter sat her purse and a stack papers, and not her school bag.

“Mary.” I said surprisingly calmly, even though I was panicking inside.

“Yup?” She said turning around and grinning at me.

Taking a deep breathe, I calmed myself and urged myself not to scream. “It’s almost eleven…we’re late.”

“Late for what?” She asked her head tilted to one side in confusion.

“For school!”

I watched as Mary’s face changed from confusion to an uneasy look of amusement.

“Calm down, crazy. Its teachers work day which means no school.” She laughed, turning back around to then to the pan on the stove. “You should know this; you’re on the student council.”

Placing a hand over my heart, I calmed myself down. I was so relieved to find out that there was no school. The last thing I need is my scholarship to Grayson High to be revoked because of one missed school day.

“Here,” Mary smiled as she placed a plate of chocolate chip pancakes in front of me. “Before you pass out, eat this and remember Grayson wouldn’t take away their best students scholarship just because she was late one day.” She beamed as if she knew what I was thinking.

Sliding onto the high bar stool, I thanked Mary with a sigh of relief.

Grayson High was one of the best schools in the area, and it came at a price; a high price. One that at the time I’d applied at thirteen, I couldn’t afford and so a scholarship was the only way I had been able to get in and attend. My dad was still around then, but we still didn’t have enough to pay the high fee for Grayson High.

Picking up the fork, I took a chunk out of the pancake stack that was doused with a healthy layer of syrup.

“You’re up early for a no-school day.” I commented, relishing the delicious taste of the pancakes in my mouth.

She shrugged and set her own plate down on the counter. “I had some things on my mind, and some things to do.”

“How long have you been up?” I asked, putting another piece of pancake into my mouth.

Mary picked up a piece of pancake and dunked it into her small bowl of syrup. “A couple hours or so.”

Taking a sip of the milk she had set out for me, I asked. “What have you been doing?”

“Research.”

I glanced at the stack of papers that sat on the kitchen counter. “Is that your research?” I asked reaching out for it. “What is it?”

“No!” She yelped slapping her hand over it and pulling it away from me. “I’m not ready to share.”

I slowly pulled my hand back and sceptically looked at Mary.