Chapter One: Last Show

*picture is Lefty and Amber's reining outfit and saddle

My stomach spun as I watched Jamie Wells on Fancy's Good N Done do her reining pattern from my horse Lefty's back.

I'd beaten her before at other shows, but never an AQHYA (American Quarter Horse Youth Association) World Show.

For the first time in a while I was actually really nervous to do the pattern...She was good and I couldn't lose this, my dad wanted me to be the best youth Reiner and if I couldn't be, He'd sell my horses and I'd be packing for boarding school.

My trainer walked over to me "Remember to squeeze with your calves too as you ask for your sliding stop" he said as he pat my horse's neck. "Just think of this as a lesson back home, you've got this".

I nodded my head, too anxious to say much as I nervously fidgeted with my brown hair that was in a ponytail down my back.

"Amber, don't think about what's gonna happen if you win or lose this, just think of how your gonna ride this pattern" my best friend and teammate Lilly said to me "you and Lefty have got this".

Lilly was such a good friend. "Thanks!"

As Jamie exited the arena, the announcer called us.

I was up, and ready to win. I couldn't let Lefty down.

Our pattern went great.

Lefty's sliding stops were awesome, and our circles were perfect, he was listening to my every cue.

I had a slight hesitation, not even a full second, when we did our flying lead change, which I was hoping wouldn't cost us the win.

The judges' results were in...

All 40 of us competing for the AQHYA reining world championship title entered the arena and lined up.

The announcer listed the top 5 and top 10. And he said my name which meant I had a chance at world champion.

"The AQHYA 2012 reining reserve world champion is I've Dun It Right aka Lefty ridden and owned by Amber Cage".
No! This couldn't be happening!

I needed to win the class and be a world champion to be able to keep hotrod and Lefty and not have to go to boarding school... not second place.

But maybe my dad would let me keep my two horses since I was so close to first? It was worth a shot.

As I exited the arena I was met with cheers and smiles from everyone...Except my dad.

I blocked everyone out as I led Lefty over towards him "Ok dad, I know I didn't get first, but second is so close! Doesn't it count for something, please"

Not much amber". My dad replied coldly.

"Well what if I'm a world champion in a different class?" I asked, hoping that If I won in trail or something on my other horse Hotrod he'd change his mind.

"You know I don't care about how Hotrod does, i only wanted you and Lefty to be the reining world champion," my dad answered without showing any emotion "but apparently that was too much for you to handle"

With tears streaming down my face that were ruining my makeup, i jumped off Lefty and ran away from my team and dad. Once Lefty and I were at our show teams stalls, I didn't try to hold my tears in, I just let it out.

Instead of using the cross ties, I tied Lefty inside his stall so we weren't in the open.
I took his saddle and bridle off and flung it over the stall door.

I slid down the side of stall until I was sinking into shavings.

I cried for what seemed like hours.

I loved My two geldings, Lefty and Hotrod, so much and it hurt me to know that I'd be forced to sell and never see them again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok so this is my first book, as you can tell! Please leave feedback and such so I can make it better! Thanks for taking time to read it! -moosemilly