Chapter Four: Goodbyes are the Hardest

Tuesday and Wednesday flew by. Before I knew it I was setting my alarm clock for 4 am Thursday morning.

I'd woken up, startled by my alarm going off.
I was jumpy because I'd been having nightmares all night about my horses and Canterwood.

My nerves were getting the best of me.

I speedily took a shower and got dressed into my Wrangler jeans, a belt and buckle, my favorite maroon t-shirt from American Eagle, and of course, mismatched socks.

I headed into my bathroom and put a light layer of makeup on and pulled my hair up into a messy bun on top of my head.

I gathered up my suitcases full of my clothes and headed downstairs.

After I ate my favorite chocolate chip pancakes made by my stepmom, I flung on my AQHA world champion jacket from last week and my nicest pair of cowboy boots.

I wanted to make a good impression that showed i wasn't some western rider from nowhere. Because I know that most of the time, the snobbiest barn people are English riders, no offense, I'm just saying.

My dad had already loaded all of my things into his truck, so I hopped into the back seat.
Once the horse trailer was hooked up, we headed towards Big Star Ranch.

I could feel myself shaking as we pulled out of our familiar driveway in Ellensburg, Washington. This would be the last time I saw our house for over a month. And as much as I didn't want to admit it, I knew I was gonna get homesick.

My dads black GMC Sierra drove into Big Star Ranch's circle drive.

As My shaking hands fumbled with the door handle, I looked up to see all of my friends and Jake waiting with my tack and horses.

"You guys are so sweet!" I said as tears of joy and sadness threatened to roll down my face, but I held it back.

"We thought it was the least we could do since we know this has been hard for you, and it's not your decision" Adam said as he hugged me with his free arm.

"So..." Kacey started as she pointed at Hotrod "what do you think of these halters?"

No way! They'd gotten both Hotrod and Lefty leather halters with their names engraved on the silver plates!

A huge grin spread across my face "I think I have the best friends in the whole world!"
We put all of my tack into my trailers tack room.

I loaded Hotrod who already had his shipping boots and Jake Bryan Training show sheet on into my family's three horse slant trailer and Jake loaded Lefty in right after Hotrod.

"All right everyone, squeeze in next to each other, I need a picture" my step mom ordered.

Lilly, Adam, Jake, Sophie, Luke, Ashley, Mia, Kacey, and I all lined up with our arms around each other smiling as my step mom took our picture.

Lilly, Kacey, and I hugged for the last time for a while. We'd been best friends since we were 5 and We'd been inseparable since.

I hugged all of my friends and Jake before we had to leave.

As we rolled out of the drive, I leaned my head out the window and looked at everyone waving goodbye "we'll keep in touch! I promise!" I yelled out the window.

"Amber don't scream in the truck!" My dad grumbled.

"Whatever" Ugh! My dad was such a pain. I'm pretty sure he lived to make my life miserable.