Chapter Seven: First Night Nerves

*picture is Amber's outfit

I stepped into Orchard Hall as rain started to pour down outside.

I walked towards the dorm monitors office right to the left of the main door. I had to meet her and go over school rules.

"Hi! You must be Amber!" A bubbly lady who was probably in her 20s said, "I'm Stephanie!"

"Yep! I'm Amber. Are you my dorm monitor?"

"Yes, I'm your dorm monitor" Stephanie answered back.

Stephanie beckoned me into her office and into a purple chair.

Immediately, Stephanie started talking about the school and dorm policies, but I couldn't focus, I just kept thinking about home.

"And definitely no boys in the dorm rooms" Stephanie finished, bringing me back to reality.

I said bye and headed towards my dorm. I stepped inside onto the shining wooden floors, admiring the beauty of the dorm. The natural paint colors looked stunning against the rich wood floors.

I looked around the suite and felt myself starting to get homesick. I mean sure, it was pretty here, but home was so cozy and I loved it.

I sat on the edge of the bare bed thinking about everything. Coming here was definitely a mistake. I missed my house and my barn and my friends.

3 hours later, I was finally starting to calm down as I reached into the last moving box and hung up a picture of my mom and I from when I was little. I was all moved in now.

I stared around my new room, aqua blinds hung from the window next to my bookshelf lined with books and horse show awards. My eyes flickered to three plastic bins in the corner of my closet - my show clothes. I knew it was a little ridiculous to bring them with me, but I still clung onto the hope that I'd be zipping up my turquise show chaps again. Even though Jake wasn't here to coach me, I was going to practice my hardest so I was ready when the opportunity to show again came my way.

I just couldn't seem to let showing go...not yet anyway.

~

My eyes fluttered open as I took in my surroundings - my dorm room. I groaned and rolled over onto my stomach pulling my aqua pillow over my head, ignoring the fact that I needed to get up. Ya, I'm not much of a morning person. if the building were on fire, there's a good chance I'd just stay here.

But, I need to get up so I don't miss breakfast. Today is my last day to explore the campus and get settled before classes start tomorrow, and I don't want to be rushed because I didn't get up on time.

I slide my bare feet onto the cold floor as I struggle to detangle myself from the massive amount of blankets and pillows enveloping my bed and I.

~

I look down to study my outfit. I've paired ripped light wash skinny jeans with a PINK 1/4 zip, finished with my Nike Roshes and My hair is pulled up into a messy bun on top of my head.

As quietly as possible, I creak open my door, not wanting my roommates to hear me, I really just want to hang out on my own today. But, on the other hand, i need friends so I'm not a loner.