Chapter Two: Keepers?

I gathered up all my awards from the world show, which included awards from reining reserve world champion, ranch riding world champion, ranch trail top 10, cutting top 10, showmanship top 10, trail top 10, and horsemanship world champion. I put them all into cardboard moving boxes.

My dad had decided that I would be going to boarding school and selling both Lefty and Hotrod.

My only hope was that my step mom could convince dad to let me at least keep my horses.
But that was a long shot since her and I weren't very close and she seemed to usually choose my dads side.

As I finished packing up all my awards from where I started in 4-H to previous world shows or Quarter Horse Congress, tears ran down my face as I thought about selling my geldings.

Riding was my life and I couldn't imagine not having horses in it.

if I sold my horses, it was also like taking away my memories of my mom because she got me into riding and it was our thing before she died.

I guess it could be worse, luckily the boarding school-Canterwood Crest Academy- has horses as an extracurricular activity, I wouldn't be riding on the team because my horses will be gone and they mainly do dressage, jumping, and cross country, which I don't like. But at least I'd be able to see horses.

Someone knocked on my door.

"Go away" I choked out as I wiped the tears from my face.

"Please let me in amber?" my step mom Julie asked, "I just want a chance to talk to you".
I stood up and opened my door.

"Oh, come here honey" Julie said as she saw the tears streaming down my face and held out her arms.

I leaned into my step mom and cried. And for a minute it felt like my mom was back and I was hugging her instead.

"Amber, I'm sorry. Your father is being very unfair about this. I am so proud of you and your horses, and I know your mom would be too" Julie stroked my hair, just like my mom used to, "I tell you what honey, I'm going to go try and talk to your father because I don't want you to lose your horses, I know they mean the world to you".

"Thanks" I mumbled as Julie walked out of my room. Maybe Julie and I were closer than I thought.

I fumbled down the stairs towards the dining room.

My dad sat at the head of our huge table with a serious look on his face, as always.

I sat down near him, not making eye contact.
I wasn't sure if Julie had talked to him yet about my horses and it took everything in me not to ask the question that was tearing to get out.

Julie brought our plates to the table and sat down.

"So, before we eat Amber, we need to talk" my dad started, "Julie and I had a talk and...she's convinced me that you can keep your horses-" I screamed!

I couldn't believe that I was going to be able to keep my horses!

"But, I'm still going to boarding school?"
My dad nodded. "But I've talked to the riding instructor at Canterwood and you can take Hotrod and Lefty with you".

Oh...my...gosh!

I still had to go boarding school, and my show career was basically over, but now I could at least have my horses with me!!! Which was better than nothing; right?