Chapter 10

Jason is back at practice now, meaner than ever. The outfielder, Max Bennett, was given Grayson's position. I don't really know Max. I do know that he's a terrible outfielder, and that's the only thing that my dad and I agree on. I tried to get to know him because he took Grayson's place but Max is very rude because he misses the outfield position. Since we don't really have a big field and we don't practice long distance often, he doesn't have to come to practice everyday like we do, in fact he doesn't even play in some games because either the field we're playing on is too small or the other team we're versing don't have any outfielders. And now Max has to come to practice everyday and he hates it. Especially since Jason is mean. There has never been a practice in which Jason coached all the way through, but now that he and Cassandra Owens broke up, no one comes to interrupt him. He invited Max and I to a party, and I went. Jason got really drunk and begged Cassandra Owens to come back to him in front of everybody, but she said no and then left the party with her friends. Jason laughed it off and then got some poor girl who was too drunk, took her upstairs, and had very loud sex with her. I never had sex, and after hearing Jason and that girl, I didn't want to. The girl sounded like she was in pain, and for a while I thought he was beating her, but it turns out he was just having sex with her too hard and the girl had to get stitches. After that Jason stopped going to parties, and stopped drinking. He started getting high instead. He came to practice high, almost everyday. One particular day, he had us all sit in a circle and he told us stories about him and Cassandra Owens. He had really loved her, but she wasn't pleasing him. She didn't want to have sex with him all the time and in the 3 years that they had been dating they only had sex 5 times. Jason was mad about it and he got drunk and he had sex with a girl while Cassandra Owens was out of town. At first he was really guilty and I was the only one he told. He asked me what to do, and I told him to tell her the truth but he wouldn't listen, and instead lied to her and just did it again because that's the only way he can be happy. And he told everyone that they had loud, wild sex every night and only their close friends knew it wasn't true. My uncle, the coach, came during the middle of that practice to evaluate Jason as a coach, he does this once in awhile because if he doesn't then he has to coach us himself and he wants to put all attention on the football team. Coach caught Jason high, and had him do a drug test. He tested positive, and was kicked off the team and he was suspended for two weeks. His parents found out and took him out of school into rehab. Coach appointed me the new captain. I called Grayson, but he changed his number. Dad arrived at 1 AM, I was watching tv. He was dropped off by a woman named Sherrie, and he told her that he had a good time. When he came inside and saw me, he yelled at me for being up late on a school night, and was going to wake up mom, but I told him that I couldn't sleep and that if he wakes up mom I would tell her about Sherrie. Dad was silent for a minute. He told me to turn off the tv and go upstairs to bed. He said that he loves mom and that he would never do anything to hurt her. I told him that I knew and that I wouldn't say anything to her. I didn't tell him that I'm the captain of the team. I didn't tell mom about Sherrie. But, I did cry myself to sleep that night.