Part 2 - Chapter 7

I came to practice late today because I didn't finish my math test and begged Mrs. Walters to let me finish it after school. She said that since I never do anything wrong, and I have baseball practice, she will grade what I did do and won't penalize me for everything I missed. I came to practice with a note from Mrs. Walters, and I was prepared for a beating from Jason, he hates it when we're late. But Jason wasn't there, neither was Grayson. Hunter told me that Jason wasn't coming today, that he had something important to do and that I should take over. Jason never misses practice. Even when Cassandra Owens comes, he still makes it back, he still yells and makes us do laps if we sucked. So I took over, and I didn't ask questions. I had them all run, do pushups, and stretch. Then I had the batters practice swinging, and then I had the pitchers and basemen practice catching. Then I assigned each ball catcher to a ball hitter and had them throw, hit, and catch. Then Cassandra Owens came. Everyone stopped. No one said a word, no one blinked, no one took a breathe. She was in tears. Even when her whole face was red, and her makeup was smudged, and her eyes were puffy, she was still the most beautiful girl in school. She was a magician. She looked so gorgeous, and she wore an oversized flannel with baggy sweatpants that said "boss" on her butt in capital letters. I could swear there was a glow of light around her, and I couldn't help but stare at her while she wiped away her tear with her sleeve and sniffled. I didn't know what to do or say, but I didn't have to say anything, she said all she had to say.
"How dare you all just live your lives knowing what Jason was doing. How long has he been cheating on me? Was it with the same woman? Was it the same way the whole time? He had to hire a hooker to feel some joy? Why are all of you looking at me like some deer in the middle of the road and i'm a car driving down that road with my headlights on? You know Grayson is the only man on this team, all of you should be ashamed. Especially you." And then she turned around and left. The "especially you" was a gesture at me, and I couldn't understand what she was talking about. And it bothered me all through practice and all through the night. I tried calling Grayson but he wouldn't pick up. Then I called his house, and Sarah answered and I hung up. Their wedding was postponed for a month.