Chapter 1.3

I had to think reasonably, but I also had to think fast.

Luckily, speed was one of my powers, along with super strength and hearing, and being able to fly. Flying wouldn't do much good when I was locked in a metal cage. I knew that girl was watching me, and I knew she would alert someone if I tried to escape, which meant I had one shot.

"Why did you risk all of this to save one person?" the girl asked me. I think she was trying to distract me from the fact she had slipped up and let me know my powers shouldn't be active, but they were.

"I don't know," I replied. I had to think two steps ahead, and that required short answers.

"But the fact you went after someone after the monster had disappeared and that girl was safe clues me in that there was a reason."

Was there a reason I went after the guy after Lana was safe? Was it because I wanted to prove something to everyone: that I could do anything? Was it because I needed Lana to be safe because I couldn't let anything happen to her even after what we both had said?

I didn't even know Lana, not really, not anymore.

"I had to help when someone was in danger. That's my job." I looked around the room to figure out my plan. Once I got out of the cage, I couldn't sit around and drink a cup of coffee and catch up on Netflix.

"You didn't know this girl? There wasn't any connection?"

"Nope," I said. Since I had gone through all of that to save Lana, I wasn't going to throw her under the bus.

"No contact?"

"I don't know who she is."

"So you didn't have a conversation with her in the middle of the meet?"

"I might have," I quickly replied. "I talked with a lot of people. They were all impressed with my racing."

"But two conversations? Both looked very heated. And then you went and hid in the locker rooms," she said.

"She was jealous of me. Accused me of cheating."

"How do you cheat in track?"

"Drugs," I replied. "Obviously."

"What did you tell her?"

"That my running was natural talent."

"And she believed that?"

"No. That's why I went back and talked to her after my race. I didn't need any rumors going around."

The girl crossed her arms. "You didn't want rumors?"

"Yes." I could practically feel her trying to rip holes in my cover story. Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out a way to rip a hole in this cage.

"But you used your superpowers to win the race."

"Yes."

"Would this girl remember the conversation even though it was a week ago? We can track her down and see if the stories line up, because this doesn't seem to add up to me."

"Well I'm glad everything in my life has to make sense to you!" I shouted. I was losing patience very quickly. Mrs. Cansola considers that another one of my superpowers.

"I'm going to need you to calm down," the girl said. "Otherwise, this could get messy."

"Great! I live for messy." I narrowed my eyes and put my basic plan into action.