Picnics and Pink Baskets

CHAPTER 8

I went home after calling Ronnie; it was already 11:46 am.

I haven’t seen him since the other day in the fair, and I don’t even know if we are in good terms ever since I left him in the Hummer. He was quiet and flushed. I don’t even know what I did to him. Aside from being annoying, I found him being quite a drama queen. He becomes quiet and too touchy about things for all the wrong reasons. I don’t know if throwing the flowers was an insult, but oh, well. I said I didn’t want them. Hehe.

I don’t know why I feel this thing. It’s like you’re missing something. Like you still have something unsettled in you. Apparently, I found out that no amount of food could settle this anxiety. Jen also noticed me being flustered. Then I realize: Do I actually miss that boy?

It’s been one day, and I do miss his annoying me and making me laugh. It’s also been one day after the pep talk from Ronnie. I settled for what she thinks is good. I settled for what I think is good for myself. I think I like Niall Horan as well.

Never have I done anything this impulsive. I grew a little too impatient by the minute. I never thought I’d do this, you know? I called him. I clutched the phone in my hands and put it to my ear hoping my call wouldn’t be directed to voicemail. Then on the second ring, he answered.

“Hi Jess! I didn’t expect you to call!” He said rather enthusiastic about my calling which was weird.

I didn't expect me to call too.

“I called since I thought you were mad at me for something. That day in the car, you were kinda quiet. So, I don’t know. I sound ridiculous right now.”

“No, Jess. It wasn’t your fault. I was just… Now I’m the one sounding ridiculous. It’s just, I don’t know.” he fumbled with his words then continued, “I really want you to like me, okay?” He sounds like a kid, seriously- but an adorable one.

“Thanks for trying, Niall.” Here it goes. “I think I like you already.” I murmured the words, embarrassed about how ridiculous I sound saying those six words. Oh dear! I sound like a girl!

“Wha-What was that, Jess??” He sounded intent in asking me.

“I think I like you.” I murmured again, not sounding louder than the first time I spoke up.

“Can you repeat that, please. I couldn’t hear you. I think the reception here is bad.” There, he sounded a little too giddy about the situation.

“I think I like you, Niall. Okay? Are you satisfied? Happy now?” I said, sounding rather angry about saying it loudly.

I heard a thump then his voice got a little distant from the phone. I think he dropped the phone. “She said she likes meeee!!” I could just imagine him dancing around. “Cheeeerrrsss!!” “Congratulations Niall!!” I heard voices chorusing words, yelling out cheers, and people laughing from the phone. He isn’t alone, isn’t he?

“He-hello?? Niall? Hellooooo?”

“J-Jess! Jess!! You like me! You like me, Jess!” I said that already. Gosh. I heard him laugh with the other people with him.

“Yeaaahh, Niall.” I said awkwardly. “I have to go, goodb-…”

“Wa-wait, wait! Jess, meet me at the park. 1 pm. Okay bye Jess!” before I could answer, he hung up. Okay, so what now? Again, not knowing what to do, I called Ronnie. She is the go-to person when it comes to things like these. She was right. I was flat and lifeless when Joel left me. He was a douchebag. He was my boyfriend from the summer of junior year up until senior year. He was the jock who everyone in school knew. Although he was popular, he was nice, kind and he had good grades. But no one could really be perfect, he cheated on me with a cheerleader. How cliché is that? He was a liar, a cheating, meathead, douche. I hated him for that. But now, there’s a guy who approached me and who I actually liked back.