Niall Guests

CHAPTER 9

“Oh shoot! I forgot.” I look at my watch with sheer horror. I couldn’t believe I enjoyed my being with him that I forgot the time. Everything’s changing fast, I know it. From being annoying to being extremely adorable. This is so not good, well at least I think it’s not.

He stops smiling. “Forgot what?”

“I got accepted at ZWY! I totally forgot to tell you all about it.” He still is deadpanned, unable to catch up with what I’m saying. “ZWY’s a radio station here. It’s like the most famous radio station in the whole city.” I say like talking to a seven-year-old.

“I thought you have a job in the library. What happened?” I explain how I got fired and how I got the flyer down to the part where I got accepted instantly. He sits there scrunching his forehead and nodding, trying his hardest to catch up on everything I’m saying. “So I’m the reason. I’m sorry Jess, I didn’t know it would lead to that. That must be hard on you, I’m so sorry.”

I just smile, but I think he must be really blaming himself, “It’s not your fault, okay? But it’s already 3:44 pm, I should be there by 4:00.”

“Uuh… I could take you there! Paul didn’t take the Hummer, so I could drive you there.”

“Uuh, okay. Thanks, it’s like about a fifteen minute ride from here, I think.” I think for a while if Niall is capable of taking me there, since he was new in this town, but even before I could stand up properly, he takes my hands and help me up. Not only that, but he also drags me by the arm right up to his car. “Don’t open the door for me, okay?” I say, making sure I don’t sound that much rude. After hearing me say that, he backs away from the passenger door and lifts his hands by the sides of his head. “Good boy!”

“Hey!” he shouts while opening his door to the driver’s seat. As we got in, I totally forget that he had GPS in his car. I sit there awkwardly, beside him. Thank goodness we still have a foot and a half of space from each other, if not our shoulders brushing together might be the cause for my death- in a good way of course; I’m not afraid of any disease that Horan here might carry, but mere skin contact is much too much if you ask me.

Just as my prediction said, we are here in fifteen minutes with a couple of minutes to spare. It was enough that he took me there, a few minutes early, too, but no! It’s not enough when he walked me up till the lobby, but still he wasn’t satisfied, as he didn’t leave my side up till the elevator.

While he is walking me up the stairs into the building’s lobby, I was just amazed about how a gentleman he was, not at all irritated. Well, honestly I felt like an old lady, being taken by her grandson to some building because she no longer has good coordination. Should I be thrilled about him being like this? I don’t know. At least, I’m not irritated anymore, right? That’s a good start.

I was still taken aback when he asked me what floor we were going to, pushed the button then off to Awkwardsland. I don’t do small talk, right? I believe I pointed that out a while back. I think that was the reason why silence broke inside the elevator. I was slightly thankful of how Niall was the talkative one every time we’re together, that way I don’t have to worry of everything being embarrassingly uncomfortable.

“Are you sure you want to go see the station? What for? I bet you’ve seen many of them, you’ve been to interviews many times now, right?”

“Yeah, but I want to see this one, are you going to be a DJ now?”

“Not yet, but I thi-… Oh, we’re here.” I said, thanking the heavens for opening the doors. Now I can breathe. We went to the radio station silently which wasn’t awkward enough, seeing as Niall put his hand on my shoulder. I should be doing that. Not him! But mind you, it’s a friendly gesture. I can see how he stiffens up a bit every time I put my hand on his shoulder like this, maybe my hands are too cold like his, but I think his are way too cold like he stuck it into the freezer overnight. Exag, I know.