The Prince and the Pauper

"Why do you want this meaningless errand, boy?" The King questioned, a bushy eyebrow raised. His boisterous mustache wiggled as he awaited the answer.

Father and son stood in the King's study, where he had been signing treaties and other documents. His Royal Advisor stood at his side, playing with the large ring on his finger as he eyed the prince.

The Royal Advisor was a wary man; eyes like a vulture spotting prey and a hooked nose that only added to the illusion. Thin and greeting, the Royal Advisor did not take too kindly to the careless prince. 

"Well..." Joshua began, eyes drifting from his father's to the floor, only to confidently let them fly back up to meet the King's gaze. "Because you want me to fulfill my duties as prince, do you not?"

"Why, yes-"

"And you wish for me to learn the kingdom, train to be its ruler in future. So I believe that it is an appropriate task for me, Father."

He thrusted his chest out with conviction, arms at his side and his chin tipped slightly skyward.

There was a moment of silence, the King's eyes wandering over his son.

"Very well. Ride with the guard, the litter of cats are being held in the kitchen by the chambermaid." His father declared.

Joshua took a small bow, leaving the study and darting out into the corridor. He was overjoyed for many reasons; the first being that he would pay a visit to the kitchen where, undoubtedly, the head cook would allow him to sneak a few bars of chocolate.

After stopping at his chambers and changing into his riding uniform, he swiftly left and headed to the kitchen, which resided in the far East Wing.

"Going for a ride, Joshua?" Margery inquired as soon as he stepped foot into the kitchen. She stood over a large wooden tub where she was scrubbing the royal family's undergarments.

"Yes. I am to deliver a litter of barn cats to a farmer." He said proudly. His fingers absentmindedly played with his blood-red sash that was strung across his chest. "Where are they?"

Margery pointed to his left, where a young chambermaid was swaddling the four kittens in a thick canvas bag by a roaring fire.

"Excuse me, chambermaid," Joshua spoke as he approached her. "I do believe those kittens will be in my care now."

The chambermaid, having rarely encountered the royal family, jumped up a bit in her seat. Her large, round cheeks flushed red.

"F-forgive me, your majesty." She promptly apologized, handing Joshua the bag. Small mews and yowls could be heard.

"It's quite alright." Joshua replied.

"Madeline!" Margery called, elbow-deep in murky water. "Empty the chamber pots."

The chambermaid scurried away, after bowing of course. Joshua returned to Margery's side with the bag safe in his arms.

"Where is Jonathan?" He asked in reference to the head cook.

"Why?" Margery questioned with a knowing smirk. "Looking for some sweets?"

"Why, yes." Joshua replied unashamedly. "It will be a long ride and I require chocolate."

"A long ride to where?"

"To the outskirts of the kingdom. A farmer and his son have a rat infestation and I am to deliver these barn cats to them as a part of my princely duties."

Margery shot the prince a furtive glance. "Did your father force this upon you?"

Joshua paused. "Actually...I took it upon myself to perform this task."