Be Prepared

The screen of the GPS was blank. I turned it off, and then back on again. Nothing. The batteries must have died, and I didn't have any with me. This is so great! I looked over at Chad and shook my head.

"GPS is dead. I guess we'll have to do this the old-fashioned way with a map and a compass." I started to pull out my map. It had been a long time since I had to use one without electronic help.

Chad had pulled out his cell phone checking for a signal. "No signal, so GPS on our phones won't help us." He scanned the wooded terrain surrounding us, and the cloudy sky above. "We can head back over what we've covered today."

I fished around in my pack hoping to find some stray batteries. Then my hand grasped something else which might help us. I pulled out an old compass.

"We have another tool." I smiled as I flipped back the cover. The clear plastic covering the face of the compass was cracked. The compass arrow pointed North. "We need to head West." I pointed the direction indicated by the compass.

"Are you sure? I thought that way is West." Chad pointed in a Southwesterly direction according to the compass.

"Why do you think it's that way?" I shot a questioning look at my buddy. He walked over to a nearby tree and pointed at the moss-covered bark.

"Doesn't moss always grow on the North side of trees?" I walked over to him and circled the tree. The bark seemed to cover only one segment of the trunk. I shrugged.

"I think it's not always accurate to rely on the moss thing."

"Well, shit. The sun's under cloud cover, and we don't have stars to guide us. Can we pick out some landmarks on the map that will verify the compass readings?"

"Good idea, Chad." I understood Chad's frustration and wanted to kick myself for not being better prepared. I had always railed against those folks in the wilderness who got into trouble because they relied too heavily on cell phones to get them out of predicaments. Now, I wasn't any better.

"Come on, Alec. It's not just on you. I didn't bring any backup. Once we make our way out of here we can have a beer and laugh at this." He punched me in the shoulder. "Let's see the map."

After some deliberation, we decided to head back and mark our trail on the way out; just in case, we had to backtrack. Hopefully, we'd get a break from all of the cloudy skies, and be able to use our watches and the sun to determine direction. We trudged on. I was worried about the amount of water we had left. This was a stupid idea coming out here.

"Chad, let's stop and look at the map. Do recognize any landmarks around us?"

"Not really. A lot of trees and hills. How about you?"

I shook my head pulling the map from a pocket. Did I hear something? I can't believe my ears. The sound became louder and clearer.

"Little rabbit, FooFoo, hopping through the forest. Scooping up the field mice and bops them in the head..." sang a choir of little girls coming in our direction.

"Hey, Mister! Are you lost?" A blond with pigtails in a Girl Scout uniform asked as the rest of her troop marched up the trail behind her. We would never live this down.