Ninjas and Mermaids

At first glance, it looked like almost any other shop along the narrow street. Then, Natalie took a closer look. She blinked her eyes and shook her head as if she'd cleared a mental fog. No change. The sign read "Back Alley Cut & Dye Shoppe". The words "Cut" and "Dye" were blood red with painted drops hanging off of the letters. An illustrated logo on the sign had one of those hydraulic chairs found in beauty shops with a ninja-like figure standing behind it with a sharpened razor and some scissors.

Natalie's friend and former roommate, Claudia, had given her the address when her hairdresser had moved out of town. Claudia swore to the professionalism of the staff. Maybe her idea of professional was a tad different than Natalie's take on it. It must have been one of those marketing ideas to generate more social media. Yeah, it was attention grabbing, she conceded. If she didn't go in, she'd be late for her appointment.

The glass in the front windows had a mirror-like quality. Looking at her reflection, Natalie was horrified at the state of her hair. She'd be surprised if many would be able to pass by the shop when they caught a glimpse of themselves. Could they have used carnival glass -- a mirror which warped you so completely you didn't recognize yourself? She had crossed her fingers before she opened the door.

The reassuring chemical smell from the products used on a perm greeted her the moment the door swung inward. Reggaeton spilled from the speakers filling the salon and orchestrating the staff's movements. The beat had her hips moving in time with the music.

"Hi! How can I help you?" A young woman with rainbow colored hair smiled at her.

"Yes. Hello, my name is Natalie Barrow. I have an appointment." Natalie approached -- no, danced -- to the desk.

"Eva will be working with you today." Rainbow girl led her further into the salon, and Natalie sat in the barber chair staring at her own reflection. So far, Natalie hadn't encountered any ninja hairdressers, and there wasn't any evidence of eviscerated patrons. She giggled at the mental images she'd conjured from their unique advertising.

Natalie jumped when she realized a woman dressed in black stood right behind her. She hadn't heard her approach. Ninja! Goosebumps rose on her arms as a chill ran over her. Natalie agreed with all of the recommendations Eva offered for her hair.

Eva was efficient, silent and handled her shears with exceptional manual dexterity. Natalie was fascinated with Eva's hands as they clipped, trimmed and snipped. She never made any comment when her hair was colored and blow dried. Eva finally spun the chair towards the mirror so that Natalie could see her new look.

Her hair was a combination of greens, turquoise, and purple-blues. Eva called it "Mermaid hair". The name of the salon was fitting. She had been cut and dyed. Natalie hoped Clyde liked it.