Chapter Six

Chapter 6 – Volcano Springs

By the next morning Elizabeth, Joshua, and Teddy reach Volcano Springs. Their attention is drawn to a horse pen containing two men. One man is fat, and white and obviously has had two much to drink, the other is a calm thin Asian man.

The man who is moderating the gun show address's the two men, "Billy are you ready?" he asks the Asian man who nods, "Frank are you ready?" he asks addressing the other man, who nods. "Ok, on the count of three, one...two....three!"

Both men fire their guns behind each other at a card on the wall. The drunk man's friends erupt in cheers until the man named Billy is declared the winner. Billy approaches a man smoking while lying on the fence line.

"That's bull and you know it, I won fair and square!" the man Frank yells, "Let's do it for real this time." The man's friend urge him to quit but he continues to provoke Billy. Billy shrugs and moves to the middle again.

To the audience's surprise, Billy removes his gun belt and his hat. Leaving himself defenseless with nothing but a pin holding his hair up. The men get into position and Elizabeth turns herself away and tucks herself into Joshua's arms not wanting to see the bloodshed. His arms tighten around her in response.

The middle man steps forward, "Billy are you ready?" the man nods, "Frank are you ready?" the other man nods, "Alright then, one...two...three!" All Elizabeth hears is the sound of one gun shot and she knows the man Billy must be dead. Turning from Joshua, Elizabeth is surprised to find the other man dead on the ground, Billy's hair pin sticking out of his chest. Elizabeth turns back around quickly at the dead man. The man who had been lying on the fence pulls off his hat and makes his rounds to collect the bets from those viewing the spectacle.

"I am not paying nothing, that guy cheated!" one man tells the collector.

"I am so sorry sir, my friend is very drunk and doesn't know what he's saying Mr. Goodnight Robicheaux," he tells the man elbowing his friend hard in the side.

"I am so sorry sir, I have had way too much to drink today." The man begins apologizing profusely.

"That's alright son, you can just pay me double" Goodnight tells them. The man gives him double what he owed him, and walks away like a dog with his tail between his legs.

When Goodnight gets to Joshua and Elizabeth, Joshua confronts him. "Are you Goodnight Robicheaux? We were sent by Sam Chisolm to get you."

Goodnight looks surprised, "Sam sent you, what for?" he asks them.

Elizabeth looks up, "Our town of Rose Creek has been overtaken by a mining man named Bogue, who is killing people in the street, and taking our land. We need men to come in and help, Sam sent us to collect you, to join the team." She tells him.

Goodnight turns to the man Billy who has joined the group, "Well if I go Billy is coming too." He tells them firmly, "Wherever I go he goes too."

Joshua looks at Elizabeth and shrugs, "Welcome to the team gentleman," Joshua tells the two men. The two men gather their horses and join them at the end of town.

"Now, I never did ask," Goodnight begins looking at Elizabeth with suggestive eyes, "Who is this beautiful creature?"

"Her name is Elizabeth." Joshua tells him deadpanned.

"Elizabeth the name of royalty. Well my dear it is a pleasure to meet your acquaintance," he reaches for her hand and places a kiss on the palm.

"Pleasure to meet you to Goodnight." She tells him moving away from him to mount the horse behind Joshua.

"Why don't you give that horse a break and come ride with me for a little while miss?" Goodnight asks her.

Elizabeth stops and turns to him grinning, "I am perfectly happy right where I am but thank you for the offer Goodnight. This horse is a stallion and she is perfectly happy with the two of us on her." And with that she turns back to Joshua who has a hand out to help her a smirk firmly placed on his lips, she matches it with a smile of her own.

"Oh," Goodnight tells them, "you two are together aren't you?" he asks the two of them.

Joshua turns in the saddle to look at Elizabeth who just smiles at him and places her hands around his waist tightly and places her cheek against his back breathing him in.

Joshua turns his horse towards the direction of Comanche Wells and the rest of the group, and takes off into the desert.