Chapter 2: A Start of a New Friendship

Though she did not do art at all, she always visited art class in her free time. Abstracts, doodles, sketches, carving, painting, molding, etc. No. She just admired looking at them. She stood and looked at some artwork as she remembered her old friend, Miles. Miles loved art, and of course she was good at it. Matter of fact, it was her course in college - Advertising Arts, that was in another country though. She missed her lots that it pained her to think about it. They were still close of course, because of social networking sites like facebook. Yes, yes... Madi has facebook.

Suddenly, her thoughts were interrupted by someone standing behind her.

"Hi! Do you like it?" said the person in an excited tone.

She turned around and saw that that someone was actually a boy. Oh no, he was not just a boy, she thought. It was the school jock! George Davis.

"Huh?" she asked as she raised an eyebrow.

"That painting you're looking at", he smiled.

"Ah, I see. Well... uh...," she quickly took a glance at the painting and sighed, "It's b-beautiful." She put on a fake smile and he chuckled. Oh how cute, she thought and rolled her eyes. She was not that interested in boys. She thought that all they did was play around, impressed girls then... POW! Hurt them in the end.

"I did that." Her thoughts were interrupted again.

Wait. Did she hear him correctly? It was his artwork?

"How's that possible? He's the j-jock! I bet all he does is play sports. But apparently my theory is wrong. Totally wrong!!! I mean I don't judge or anything, but it's unlikely for a jock to do something else rather that sports and impress girls." She thought.

"You don't believe me, don't you?" George asked. She quickly shrugged and replied in a high and small pitch, "Huh?" she coughed, "I mean, huh?"

"You don't think it's really my artwork. Am I right?" he grinned. How stunning.

"Well, y-yeah... S-sorry... It's just so hard to believe." She did not know the reason, but she felt the heat rose up from her cheeks.

"You look so cute when you're blushing", he said in a soft voice while he held his nape. He was also blushing but Madi hadn't notice it.

"Uh? I...I'm n-n... not", blushing once more, George chuckled.

He pointed at his artwork as he said, "Anyways, it is I, beautiful lass, who painted 'tis."

"Well... O-okay then. Bye." She quickly said.

She was about to leave when George suddenly took her arm and pulled her towards him.

"WH-WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" She shouted

"We didn't introduce ourselves to each other yet", he smiled. "Tch", she thought. She knew him already, of course, and she had a feeling that he did not know her at all though they both had the same schedule for History classes.

"You're Madeline, right?" he asked. How did he know her name? No one knew her that much, except her friends and teachers.

"No one calls me that."

"So then are you addressed as Madi?"

"Uh, y-yes... Yes, that's right."

"Oh, what a beautiful name."

She blushed then she replied with an, "Uh, thank you."

"Well, I'm Davis. George Davis."

"I-I know. Everybody knows. Y-you're the jock, remember?"

He frowned, and there was an awkward silence. She was about to leave when the scenario that happened a while ago, happened again. The only difference was, he held her hand this time, and he did not let go of it. He stared at her eyes. Oh those sparkling eyes. She wondered why he looked so serious though.

"Are you okay?" she asked while she looked at him with puppy dog eyes.

"I'm not who you think I am." He answered as he let go of her hand.

"Huh?" She was confused. What was he talking about?

"I'm not... a jock." Madi raised an eyebrow at him and he smiled.

"Well, okay okay. They 'say' I am the jock of this school, and yeah maybe I am...But the truth is... uh......... I don't wanna be like this..." Madi put on a puzzled face. She understood what he was telling her, but why doesn't he want to be 'the jock'?

"I have my reasons, okay? I-I... just can-." George's sentence was cut. "Ha! It's time for me to interrupt his sentence!" Madi thought as she smiled to herself.

"I understand... You don't have to explain yourself... The only question I have in my mind is, what do you really want? Or maybe what do you really want to be, if not a jock?" Madi's face lightened. It was nice talking to him.

George smiled and he said, "Good question. Well, I love Art. I really do. It's where I express my true soul, you know. But what I really wanna do in life is..." He stopped there. Madi chuckled and said, "Continue your sentence for I shall not judge."

George blushed then smiled. "Well I want to become.... Okay not to become... But uh... I want to help orphans." Oh. That was nice, she thought.

"Well not bad. So, how will you earn income?" Madi asked.

"Frankly, I love History. So, an Archaeologist will be okay. Or a lawyer, maybe. I'm not yet sure." Woah. A... Lawyer??? An Archaeologist??? She could not imagine the jock wanted to be like those people. Was she actually dreaming? WAKE UP! She thought. Wait, or was she... hallucinating...? No. She wasn't at all. She was perfectly fine and awake, and she knew that. She smiled at him and George blushed. He had never seen her smile that way before. "How beautiful", he thought. George smiled back and asked Madi a question. A question that she did not want to hear.

"Uh, c-can we be friends?" This shocked Madi. She widened her eyes at him, but she saw that George was serious. She put on a normal face, and then smiled, "I'd love to."

They both smiled at each other as Madi offered a hand to him, and he accepted it - a handshake as a result of both hands touching each other.

A few seconds later, Madi left the Art class while she smiled. She was actually really happy. She knew that it would be a start of a wonderful friendship. And she bet that George knew about that too.

------------

Writer's Note: Like it or hate it? Please vote, comment and share. Cheers! ~