Chapter 7

The drive to the Bureau compound is longer than I remember, although I suppose I am not accounting for the several inches of snow that now veils the ground and makes the troop transport harder to drive. The bitter cold causes my fingertips to turn bright red, so I have to switch off on which hand holds my rifle. The truck jostles again, and I grit my teeth as I try not to get sick.

"What's the plan again?" Christina pipes up from a few seats down.

Matthew dives into an explanation of the strategy, but I tune him out. I already know what the plan is; we will walk through the security checkpoint, claiming that we are guards since we all wear their outfits, and Amar is known as their military leader. We will find the control room and have Cara and Amar broadcast a message to the Bureau to inform them of the treatment that people are receiving in this very compound. Hopefully, if everything goes smoothly, there will be enough people that the few extra guards who aren't convinced—it is better to be prepared for that possibility—will let us walk out without conflict. Although I know better than to assume that there will be no combat.

We go over another large bump, and Zeke dramatically covers his mouth next to me, announcing loudly, "I think I'm going to barf."

"If you do, it better be on Four," Cara wrinkles her nose.

"Hey," I say in a defensive tone, as if I am getting picked on. But I enjoy this casual joking every once in a while. It reminds me that we're all young adults, despite the burdens we always seem to carry.

A few people chuckle at our exchange. I don't know most of the soldiers in the truck that Amar knows well, but I do recognize George.

"We're almost there," Matthew assures Zeke with a grin. I vaguely remember feeling irrational jealousy toward him a few times when he spoke to Tris, yet I had nothing to be jealous about. I have had abandonment issues since my mother left me in Abnegation, and then when Tris left me to turn herself into Erudite, so I guess that is why I got a little possessive around him.

But Matthew is just a friendly, overly-intelligent, and enthusiastic guy. He acts like that around everyone. Plus, I gained a lot of respect for him when he told me about his story, and about how the Bureau treated his girlfriend. I see myself in him, in a way.

We slow to a stop up at the two fences that surround the compound. Sure enough, the guards recognize Amar and let us through almost immediately. Once we are past the second fence, the electrified chain link fence, I relax a little.

We drive over the pavement that has been cleared of snow and then over to where the other troop transports are parked. When we leave with the other soldiers and civilians, those of us who can drive will split up and take everyone back to Chicago, specifically Dauntless. Weapons and additional training are going to be necessary if we plan on invading.

One part of me wishes that this conflict won't have to happen, that David will give in or won't have enough soldiers to wage war. But another part of me, deep down inside, strains to destroy the Bureau, to end David's life. In a way, I want this war to happen so that I can obtain revenge, but that is selfish and I am not proud of that side of me.

Once Amar parks the truck, we all hop out the back and follow him inside. We take the side way in, since we are technically soldiers and don't have to go through the metal scanners. It is strange walking in this time, how people don't stare now that we are wearing the same clothes that they are, and how they don't know about the experiments and haven't been watching us for our entire lives.

The memories that overwhelm my mind while we walk past the checkpoint and through the compound are too much to bear. Every once in a while, I glance to the right and see a spot where Tris and I kissed, or to the left and see something else that reminds me of her. Eventually we pass the hotel section of the airport, where the dormitory and several refurnished hotel rooms are. I halt when I see the number on one of the doors.