Demented

CIELO ARYA MEYERS

I think I might be going crazy. The incident in the kitchen keeps repeating in my head, I can't shake it off no matter how hard I try.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Lea looking at me. She seemed agitated but I'm not sure if it's in relation to what happened earlier.

I went inside the waiting car and slammed the door.

This will be an overnight outing because Dad said it's going to be a long way. Rebecca and I are on the backseat and we sat in an uncomfortable silence.

She's holding her pad and pen again and busily writing.

Dad will be the driver for this trip and Lea took the passenger seat.

She casually threw a glance at me and then shifted to Rebecca before putting her seatbelt.

I was staring at her when she suddenly turned again to look at the backseat and I was caught. I immediately look the other way and pretended nothing happened.

We are already moving when Dad spoke.

"KC, James called last night, said there is a new project waiting for you." Dad said while driving.

He looked at the rearview mirror to see my reaction but I just shrugged.

"He said it's a good movie. And coming from a distinguished director, I believe him. Why don't you try?"

It looks like he's not going to drop it until I say a word.

"I'm not interested."

"That's too bad. Gusto ko pa naman sanang makita kang gumawa ng pelikula."

"If I'm going to do this movie, will you come with me? Accompany me in every taping?"

"Yes. If you'll have me." He answered almost too quickly.

"Me too. I want to come with you too." Rebecca said excitedly.

"Kids are not allowed." I said.

Maybe I was too harsh on her because she hung her head in disappointment.

"KC." Dad's tone is unmistakable, it's a warning that I'm being a bitch again to Rebecca.

"Maybe when you're older." I murmured. Rebecca's face lit up and she hugged me.

"Hey! Get off me!"

"Promise Ate, I'll behave kapag dinala mo ako sa mga shooting mo."

Wait, I need to process first what she said.

Did she say she'll behave if I'm going to bring her on my tapings?

Yeah, I think I got that right.

"Oh, no. What I said is, when you are older, I might bring you."

"Doesn't matter, Ate. A probability is enough for me." She smiled goofily at me.

I rolled my eyes and I casually glanced at Lea again but she seemed busy doing something on her phone.

And about the phone, damn, she's really determined not to give it to me.

The car was silent once again and I fixed my gaze outside the window. It's a long ride. I might as well get a sleep.

"Dad, are you serious in what you said a while ago? You're really going to be with me for the entire duration of the filming?" I asked sleepily.

"Well, of course." Dad glanced at Lea.

That's good to know.

—●—●—●—●—●—

"Babes, it's all over the internet. Ciel Meyers, a hollywood A-list, is in the Philippines according to a reliable source." I heard Lea said to Dad. "She was spotted in a convenience store in Alabang..."

"Sinabi ba kung bakit siya nandito?" It's Dad.

"Hindi nila alam ang dahilan. Pero ang lokasyon kung saan siya nakita. Sino ba ang maaari niyang puntahan dito sa Pilipinas?."

"I think ikaw pa lang naman ang kaisa isang celebrity na kakilala niya dito. At alam naman ng karamihan na nagkaroon kayo ng isang sold-out concert sa Carnegie."

"It will lead directly to me."

"Sabi naman nina manang hindi daw lumabas si KC kahit saglit lang."

"E sino ang nakita nila?"

"Lea, parang hindi mo naman kilala ang mga tao sa mundong ginagalawan natin. Syempre gagawa sila ng ingay. Matagal na kasing hindi nagpaparamdam si Ciel Meyers at walang nakakaalam sa kinaroroonan niya. Come on, hindi lalabas si KC ng bahay para lang ipahamak ang sarili niya. KC is an obedient child and far too clever to do such a thing."

"You don't know how much I wanted to believe that, Aga. Pero paano kung nananadya siya? You know how she is to me."

"Lea." Saway ni Aga. "KC, is the Head of the Meyers Clan not to mention the CEO of the Meyers Group. Hindi siya ang tipong magsasayang ng panahon para lang sa ganito."

Nice one, dad.

"Paano kung hindi pa siya handang humarap sa tao bilang anak ko?"

"Lea, ang inaalala mo bang hindi handa ay ang anak mo o ikaw? KC is looking forward to this day. Na makilala at matanggap bilang anak natin."

"Inaalala ko lang naman ang kapakanan niya."

"Bat ba tayo napunta sa usaping to, Lea? Umamin ka nga, natatakot ka ba?"

"She should be, if I were to go in public as the long lost daughter of the admirable Lea Salonga then people will scorn at her, judge her, mock her. Well, who wouldn't be scared?" I butt in.

"Kendra!"

"You can't stop me from saying these things, Dad. Lea will never admit to anyone that I am her daughter because that will ruin her image." I spat.

Dad pulled over and I can sense that he's mad.

"KC, you've gone way too far. I won't tolerate this. Apologize to your mom. Now!" Dad said through gritted teeth.

"Aga." Lea said hoarsely. "It's fine. I think she's right."

That's when I noticed, she's crying.

End of chapter

~0~