Chapter 5

“Do not go around chasing shadows because they are delusions which masks evil,”

That icy cold warning kept replaying in my head continuously. I could not help but shudder at each chilling word the old man presaged me. I wrapped my hands around myself as a desperate attempt to slow down my heart which was thudding harshly against my chest. My mind was veiled mostly by thoughts of the mystery of the mansion. I could not decipher this warning – which resulted in the increase in my nervousness. Shivers ran up and down my spine.

My father would occasionally dart worried glances at my direction. The more he did this the more I felt agitated.

“Are you sure you’re well enough for school?” he questioned me worriedly.

“Dad, for the hundredth time, I’m totally fine!” I lied.

I was 100% sure I did not fool him as he did not look convinced. His expression did not seem to relax and his glances became more and more intensified. I shifted uncomfortably and gave a loud and heavy sigh, immediately causing my father to peer at me again.

“Just keep your eyes on the road, Dad,” I told him, exasperation creeping into my voice.

He did not say anything but he tried very hard not to look at me. There was an embarrassing silence as I fumbled anxiously with my messy hair, looking down at my sneakers to evade my dad’s looks. A few minutes passed by and I could not take the burden of this awkward silence between us anymore. I decided to ask something about the house.

“Umm… Dad?” I called.

“Yeah?” he replied.

“You know, the mansion,” I said, trying to form the correct sentence in my head. “When did you buy it?”

“I didn’t buy it, Genessa,” he told me. “It’s Amara’s father’s mansion. She inherited it,”

My eyes widened in shock as this truth came crashing down on me. That was why I felt so strange in that house.

“Why didn’t she sell it, anyway?” I asked, more interested in the subject.

“Amara begged me to live in that luxurious house,”

“More of a freaky house,” I remarked.

“Why do you detest Amara so much?” he asked, sharply.

I cringed at the rash tone in his voice and thought of the perfect answer to tell him.

“That’s because I get this sinister feeling whenever I’m with her,” I said. “And she acts like she doesn’t know about her eyes changing colour,”

“It’s only because you don’t know her yet,” he noted. “She’s actually quite strange but if you get to know her you two will really get along,”

“Yeah right,” I added sarcastically.

He cocked his eyebrows and looked at me. I sensed that he was a little annoyed.

“Your stubbornness is getting in your way of judging other people,” he said harshly.

“I’m sorry, Dad,” I apologized.

“You’re so stubborn like your mother and always complaining,” he said, his anger lighting up.

“I said I’m sorry!” I shrieked at him.

This made him realized that I had some problems so he decided to calm down. Thank god he didn’t push me too far. I would have made the Mercedes explode with my anger or something.

“Sorry for showing my anger like that,” he finally said, startling me.

I didn’t answer him. I looked outside and ignored him. He stopped talking to me because he knew it would be useless for him to speak to me when I was angry. The white fluffy clouds sailed lazily in the sea blue sky, drifting over lush green hills and vales. Sparrows flew in circles in the sky. The leafless trees stretched out their branches as if they had woken from a long slumber. I remembered the old cottage I had seen when I first came here. Now there was a flock of sheep grazing in the field and a shepherd lay down on the grass leisurely. Moments later I noticed that we had come into a town as the sight of houses increased. There were lots of colorful shops and people dashed to and fro, carrying about their daily work. Some of them looked up at our direction and waved at us. Dad waved at them in return and continued driving the car.