Chapter x5

I sat on my bed, cross-legged, twisting my hands.

Yeah, this "Not think about River" thing...not going so well. Actually, that's all I have thought about for 3 hours straight.

I groaned in frustration, and fell back on my bed. So many unanswered questions; my head hurts.

"Dinner's ready!" My Mom yelled, opening my bedroom door. I jumped.

"Was there a reason you had to yell? You're in my bedroom," I said, standing up.

"Because, I felt like it," She said, shrugging.

"Of course you did," I muttered.

We walked downstairs, and into the kitchen, sitting down.

She had cooked Spaghetti.

My mom started eating, while I picked at my food and thought. A few minutes later, my mom sat down her fork, and looked at me.

"Okay. I have never known you not to eat. What's the matter?" She asked.

Gee, Mom, thanks.

I opened my mouth to respond, but she cut me off.

"And, don't say you're not hungry, you're always hungry," She said.

Once again, that's what girls love to hear. That they're always hungry. You're on a roll.

"Fine. At least look at me," She said. And, I did.

Immediately, she said, "What's his name?" She didn't break my gaze.

"River," I said, without thinking.

Crap.

"Ooh!" She exclaimed, clapping her hands together.

"Mom..." I warned.

"Tell me everything!" She said. I opened my mouth to say, "There's nothing to tell", but, once again, she cut me off.

"First; finish eating. Then, we'll have some Hot Coco and you can tell me everything!" She said.

Next thing I know, she's scarfing down her food like she's never eaten. I sighed, and shook my head. I picked up a bread stick, and started eating it. Once I started eating, I realized I was really hungry. I picked up my fork, and swirled it in a circle. And, we ate in silence, until we were both done. We both stood up, and took the dishes to the sink. We washed the dishes and put them away.

Then, my Mom looked at me, and said, "Go put your pajamas on!"

I walked over to and up the stairs. I walked in my room, shutting the door behind me, and went to my drawer.

I pulled out some Pajamas, and put them on, wondering what I was going to say to my mom.

I mean, I'm not going to tell her everything, am I?

But, what is there to tell?

I shook my head and walked out of my room.

"Let's go!" My Mom screamed, in my face, as soon as I took a step outside my door. I screamed.

She laughed and pulled me into her room. She let go of my hand, and went to sit on her bed. I sat down, after her.

She handed me a cup, filled to the brim with Hot Chocolate and marshmallows, and a bowl of chocolate ice cream with chocolate syrup and a cherry on top. And, grabbed the same for her.

We like chocolate if you couldn't tell...

"So? No more waiting! You tell me everything about this River boy!" She said.

I took a deep breath, and started. She listened intently nodding, gasping, squealing, shaking her head, taking sips of her Hot Coco, and taking bites of her ice cream every once in a while. After I finished, she looked at me, smiling, and started bouncing up and down. She hugged me tightly.

"Wow!" She said. She pulled me back to look at me, and I smiled at her.

"Well, I gotta go to bed, Mom," I said. She nodded, and hugged me again. I hugged her back, and stood up.

"Night, Mom," I said, smiling at her.

"Night, Girlie," She replied.

I walked towards the door, when she yelled, "Carter!" I turned around. "Same time tomorrow?"She asked. I smiled at her.

"Same time tomorrow," I said, and walked out.

I walked back into my bedroom, and laid down. I felt like a weight had been lifted, from talking to my Mom. I turned the light out, and fell asleep.

I woke up, and stretched. I felt okay this morning. I'm still not a morning person, though. I'd like about 5 more hours of sleep. I stood up and pulled some random clothes out of my closet.

I double-checked the outfit to make sure it didn't look stupid. I put it on, and went to the bathroom. I did everything I needed to do, and walked out. I grabbed my bag, and ran downstairs.

"Hey, Mom," I said, smiling.

"Morning, Sweetie," She said, smiling at me. I grabbed an apple, and walked towards the door.

"Bye, Mom!" I yelled.

"Hey! Have fun with River, today!" She said, wiggling her eyebrows. She wanted to ignore the part I told her about him being mad at me.

"Yeah, yeah. Bye!" I said, laughing.

"Bye!" I heard her yell, as I shut the door.

I took a bite into my apple, as I was walking.

When I finally saw the school, I had finished my apple. I ran up to the trash can outside the school, and threw my apple core in it. I walked in the school, and went to Algebra. I looked over and River was already sitting down.

It was on the complete other side of the room than yesterday. He looked up, when I walked in, then quickly looked back down. I bit my lip, and walked to my seat. I zoned out after the teacher walked in

After Algebra and English, I headed to History. I walked in. River had been sitting in the same spot in every class. I sighed, and sat down in my same seat. The teacher walked in, and once again I zoned out.

I'm going to be surprised if I don't fail my classes.

I got out my notebook, and pretended to take notes. As I doodled longer and longer, I flipped the page to a clean sheet. I started with an oval.

Class ended and I finally got out of my zone. I looked down at what I had drawn and gasped.

This was not a good way of getting River off my mind.