Chapter 27 - Prove yourself

---

Chapter 27 - Prove yourself

---

Athira planted herself into the carpet and folded her arms, staring down the man and his two lumps of muscle as they approached.

Same clothes as when he came in. Found you, Chief.

 “What, need those two to catch you if you fall over?” said Athira. “Are they your crutches to accommodate your age?”

“So quick to belittle me,” replied Chief with a frown. “After I went through all the trouble to deal with you personally.”

Athira raised an eyebrow. “You say that like you didn’t jump at the chance to have the Owl as your errand girl.”

The chief pursed his lips. “And yet you’re back already. I do hope you have the item I requested, or these two will be awfully upset.”

The muscle lumps grunted in unison, and Athira had to resist the urge to laugh.

Like they’d be a problem for me. She shook her head and reached behind her, fingers closing over the small bag tucked away in the folds of her cloak. Like anyone on this whole planet is a problem for me.

Don’t get cocky, said Talon. There has to be someone, Thira.

If there were, this situation would be over. I’d have sought them out and I’d be dead.

Athira presented the bag on her palm. “I suggest you pick something slightly more challenging next time if you want to keep me entertained.”

Chief’s eyes lit up, greed running through the iris in a flash of electric blue colour before he managed to suppress it. “Interesting,” he breathed. “Very, very interesting.”

“Glad you find a bag so fascinating,” said Athira, shielding the bag with her fingers and pulling it back to her side. “But not all of us are so intrigued by it and would like the information we were promised.”

“Ah, yes.” Chief cleared his throat. “If I may be so bold, I wish to invite you to my booth to discuss a rather important matter with you,” he said, gesturing to the sectioned off area of the room he’d walked over from. “I assure you, it will not be a waste of time.”

“It better not be, or my apprentice and I shall be rather annoyed.” Athira glanced back at Shift, who watched the conversation in silence behind her.

He’s holding up nicely.

She met eyes again with Chief before adding, “and he’ll be awfully upset.”

Chief licked his lips. “I was rather hoping to speak with you alone.”

“Do your muscle men not count as people anymore?” asked Athira. “Because I get this feeling you’ll want them to stay.”

“A gesture of faith,” he said. “I understand. Bolt, Jolt, you are dismissed.”

Talon cracked up. Bolt... Jolt... is he serious?

The muscle lumps nodded and left Chief’s sides, moving off to somewhere behind her. Athira didn’t dare glance behind her again with the way the room’s attention was focused on her. Chief had managed to manipulate the situation too well, so she had no choice but to follow him back to his booth as he led her towards it with an invisible thread.

He bowed as he unlatched the blood red rope from its golden keeper. Athira walked through, waiting until Chief had resumed his seat to take hers. He held out a hand expectantly, to which she placed the stolen bag in it and resumed her straight-backed position, ensuring her cowl remained in place.